unable to fold on 7970 under Linux, Windows10 runs fine

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

psaam0001

Re: unable to fold on 7970 under Linux, Windows10 runs fine

Post by psaam0001 »

Just my $0.50 here: That is the exact reason I will not tempt fate and use an AMD iGPU or GPU on any future system that I'm going to fold with, that is using Fedora as the O/S on. I can deal w/the Fedora update issues that involve the drivers for my NVidia cards--I'm just not going to spend days trying to deal w/AMD graphics card driver issues.

Paul
bruce

Post by bruce »

psaam0001 wrote:Just my $0.50 here:
Interesting how inflation changes things. When I was a kid, the expression was "Here's my 2¢"
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

bruce wrote:
psaam0001 wrote:Just my $0.50 here:
Interesting how inflation changes things. When I was a kid, the expression was "Here's my 2¢"
I'm adjusting what would have been 2-cents in 1940 for inflation (now 37-cents), and adding a 13-cent premium to accommodate the hidden inflation that's going to come from nowhere (as the spending continues w/o accountability).

Paul
bruce

Post by bruce »

The official policy is that: "Open CL 1.0 to 1.2 are supported for all Chips with Terascale and GCN Architecture." but the problem is that you need to find the right combination of drivers ... which you've already attempted to do. Unfortunately it doesn't specify "supported on Windows version xx" or "supported on Linux version xx"
FalconFour

Post by FalconFour »

psaam0001 wrote:Just my $0.50 here: That is the exact reason I will not tempt fate and use an AMD iGPU or GPU on any future system that I'm going to fold with, that is using Fedora as the O/S on. I can deal w/the Fedora update issues that involve the drivers for my NVidia cards--I'm just not going to spend days trying to deal w/AMD graphics card driver issues.

Paul
Well, see, that's the thing... once it's set up, it's set up forever! All you've got to do is flip it on and off whenever you want heat. Almost all the systems I work with are hand-me-down systems that serve literally no purpose in life but to fold as room heaters (I don't own any electric "conventional" room heaters - because they're incredibly wasteful when that electricity could be doing research on its way to becoming heat!).

I endure the Linux setup nightmare (100% certain that Windows setup would be easier for what I did), because Linux has a not-insignificant performance boost (in points / WU performance) over Windows on the same hardware - I think somewhere in the 10-20% boost range. If the hardware serves no useful purpose, why bother with all of Windows and its overhead? I mean, I'm a Windows guy, typing on Windows now, but ... the right platform for the right task, I suppose.