Time out?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

epx

Time out?

Post by epx »

Installed on Mac OSX 10.15.3 (Catalina).
Client connection timed out.
Launched FAHControl but same error message when connecting to FAHClient.
Also, installation manual screen shots are from (much) older Mac OS. Could it be the software is not ok with Catalina?
Cheers
Anders
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Time out?

Post by Joe_H »

I recall mention by someone that there were some issues with getting the client running on Catalina, but don't recall what those were. It still could be made to work as I recall. I currently run my Mac' on older versions of the OS, will try to find that information about Catalina. Possibly someone who has used the client with Cataline will post.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
CafeCarlos

Post by CafeCarlos »

I have Catalina 10.15.3 installed also and experienced the same results. Installs fine and reports no errors. Seems to hang on connecting. Tried giving it full disk access but no results. I will restart the computer next and report if it works, but something does not seem right. Could be a connection/configuration issue. But not sure where to find the log.

Console gives me this:
Mar 7 -----(org.foldingathome.fahclient[3659]): Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 2: No such file or directory: /usr/local/bin/FAHClient
Mar 7 -----(org.foldingathome.fahclient[3659]): Service setup event to handle failure and will not launch until it fires.
Mar 7 -----(org.foldingathome.fahclient[3659]): Service exited with abnormal code: 78
Mar 7 -----(org.foldingathome.fahclient): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

I dont have permission to look in this folder. I think Catalina's security and reorganization of files requires a different install

CafeCarlos
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

The log files and some other data files are located at the following location on OS X by default:

/Library/Application Support/FAHClient

The current log is named log.txt, up to 16 prior logs are kept in a folder named "logs" in this location.

oujmik

Post by oujmik »

I have the same issue on Mojave. It appears that the client isn't running. However I can't find where the client has been installed or how it is supposed to start. If someone can point me in the right direction I might be able to debug.
oujmik

Post by oujmik »

CafeCarlos wrote: Console gives me this:
Mar 7 -----(org.foldingathome.fahclient[3659]): Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 2: No such file or directory: /usr/local/bin/FAHClien

I dont have permission to look in this folder. I think Catalina's security and reorganization of files requires a different install
I (admin user) don't have permission on this folder in Mojave either. Although bizarrely finder was showing that a second (non-admin) account on my machine has read&write access... I logged in with that user and confirmed tha client is present. I then changed the permissions to read and write for all and I'm up and running! Maybe you can do the same by creating a second account on your machine.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

I have posted a question to the developer who has worked on the OS X port of the client about this. Hopefully he has some information on getting the client to work with Catalina or Mojave. The highest version of OS X that I am running is High Sierra.

bruce

Post by bruce »

The Linux install creates a (hidden) user to run the service and gives it read/write access to some working files. Apparently the porting of that procedure to MacOS failed ... or maybe the person doing the install needed more permissions. (Just pondering what might have happened)
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

If Folding is not working for you on Mac OS 10.15, I suggest running the UnInstaller package and reinstalling. I installed a new machine running 10.15 and folding was I think the first thing I installed. Everything seem to work fine except for the web control page, which I think Safari thinks is cross site scripting. The local host URL Worked fine, as did FAHControl.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Or just reinstall. I haven’t actually tested the uninstaller on anything past 10.12.
sosumi

Post by sosumi »

I've just done a new installation on Catalina 10.15.4. The FAHControl & FAHViewer can be opened without problem but the web control page (client dot foldingathome dot org) just gets a time out both in Safari & Firefox, so the FAHControl is just left hanging in a status 'connecting' as an anonymous user.
Restart did nothing.
Frustrating :/
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Workaround for Web Control in Safari that usually works is to change the https in the URL to http, i.e.:

http://client.foldingathome.org

I sometimes have to refresh a time or two. For Firefox, I have to run an older ESR for Flash compatibility, Web Control works there.

sosumi

Post by sosumi »

Joe_H wrote:Workaround for Web Control in Safari that usually works is to change the https in the URL to http, i.e.:

http://client.foldingathome.org

I sometimes have to refresh a time or two. For Firefox, I have to run an older ESR for Flash compatibility, Web Control works there.
Nope, still doesn't work :(
naturlikostnix

Post by naturlikostnix »

In Chrome I have to clear the cache before I start Web Control. Otherwise it will be stuck loading.
But I'm not sure, if this works for Safari too.
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

naturlikostnix wrote:In Chrome I have to clear the cache before I start Web Control. Otherwise it will be stuck loading.
But I'm not sure, if this works for Safari too.
This is described in FAQ #7: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32463
But it still doesn't work for me (Win10, Vivaldi, chrome-based)
I keep finding postings that say "Chrome changed something" that causes this behaviour, would really like to know what this change is.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)