COVID-19 - new WUs available?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldinghomealone2

COVID-19 - new WUs available?

Post by foldinghomealone2 »

With interest i read following 'article':
https://foldingathome.org/2020/02/27/fo ... -2019-ncov

Will there new WUs be released regarding COVID-19?
maverick77uk

Re: COVID-19 - new WUs available?

Post by maverick77uk »

Hi there,

Yes, I saw that as well - I'm hoping that there will be the option to specifically select this, as although all projects are obviously important, this one as a certain additional urgency. Please could it be confirmed that this will be a specific option in the drop-down box for which projects you want to work on.

Cheers!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

At this time, that can not be confirmed. Adding a new entry to the drop down would require releasing a new version of the client, and modifying the code on the servers to match. From what I understand, there is discussion going on how to handle this, but everything is still in the early stages. They may come up with some type of workaround to handle this until updates to the software can be deployed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ari2asem

Post by ari2asem »

1 more vote from me to add drop-down menu for specific this project. i have 16 gpu. would like very much to put them on coronavirus project
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The announcement came a bit in advance, the projects are still being prepared.

We also don't know yet how people joining after this announcement will indicate their preference for these projects ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

If I remember correctly, the FAH team can decide which projects they prioritize. So if these WU's are urgent, I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of them.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Indeed ©

X-Wing

Post by X-Wing »

Would love to throw some of my weight at that virus. Ready and able!
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's a fair amount of preliminary research that must be done by human scientists to build the model that allows our computers to "learn" useful things about the virus. That process has been going for over a week, now. Apparently they really don't have a model that can provide suitable WUs yet.
Spirit328

Post by Spirit328 »

In times like these, it is always great to get help from any side and there are INNUMEROUS people who are looking for an opportunity to help as much and in the way they can. How much could be achieved, if this "extra-super-power" can be applied to problems which are effecting all of us? - The sky is the limit!

The second you have a valid model for folding things about COVID-19 P L E A S E scream it from the top of every roof.
Until then it would be more helpful to concentrate on finding a helpful model, at least a valid candidate.

What about taking an "agile approach"?
Start with a valid assumption (you are the experts :wink: ) and then iterate and enhance. This can be clearly communicated and will be understood.
"Dear F@H users!
Like you we would be very pleased to have a valid model for folding proteins of the terrible COVID-19 aka "corona virus".
But, we DO NOT have a valid model ... YET.

Here you and your calculation power comes into the picture.
With your participation and support we will be able to find it faster.

So, please help us in finding it by "number crunching" the model's candidates and we are convinced, that we will find THE model much faster. To be honest. it also means, that most of the provided WUs will not be the model to fight the corona virus successfully. That's the life of a scientist: If there is no better approach, trial and error is always a good choice.
From our point of view and with all of our expertice, we have to say, currently there is no better and no faster way than trial and error.
And without your calculation power we won't have ANY chance. Time is ticking fast and there is no time to waste.

[HERE] is the page where you can download WUs with different candidates for models. Please, try to participate in as many models as possible. Literally EVERY WU does count.
Please report any finding, issue or problem as soon as possible. In every WU there is a unique hash-key, that will help us to identify it fast and reliable. There also is a link in the webcontrol UI to report any observation about the WU you are working on. Please be as much precise as you can, every detail will help.
"
(Just a draft to make my point more clearly)

May I suggest another thing? Why not packing anything into a software container and offer it on the "usual platforms"? (e.g. Docker Hub, Red Hat container catalog, AWS, Azure, etc)
There are many admins out there, who are looking for applications to test their platforms under heavy load. So we do have a win-win situation here.
Or a company donate the "not-used-ressources" of their container-platforms to F@H. Then they will get a "certificate" from F@H stating, that they contributed XXX,XXX,XXX WUs to F@H and they put it on their website to proof their social commitment. Things like this are regarded as a great asset. And it is an advertisment for F@H, too. :wink:

There are plenty of chances out there. We "just" need to get together and find ways to improve.

Cheers
Thorsten
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

See my reply here : viewtopic.php?p=311736#p311736

nicyoong

Post by nicyoong »

Yes, I also want work units specific to COVID-19 and just that. I intend to help the world find a cure for COVID-19 as much as I can.
Lasky
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 1700 Eight Core
GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
8 GB DDR4

Post by Lasky »

all want to specifically contribute to defeating Corvid19.
Only with the deployment and the announcement something must have gone wrong. Anyway, we the community are waiting and hope for an early release of the work units for the Wu's. Specifically fixed on Corvid19. Because if the community works great. It should be no problem to start other community projects in the future. Stanford University should probably spend a few extra dollars to speed up the project for programming. Because their reputation depends on it. How professional you present yourself to the outside world. That also determines the quality of the university applicants.

PS: I still haven't received my passkey XD

Update:

So you guys are pushing yourselves with a reward XD...

https://www.trendingtopics.at/wie-man-r ... s-spendet/

Austrian supports with competition
By the way, a young Austrian developer working for the Blockchain project Tezos supports folding@home with a small competition. Johann Tanzer wants to encourage people to make computing power available. For this he has put together a prize of 340 XTZ (the equivalent of about 1,000 dollars). This prize will be awarded to the person who provides the most computing power for Stanford until 30 March.
Fuzzy76

Post by Fuzzy76 »

One thing that could be done right now is making sure that the CPU WUs for Covid-19 is available. So far 4 out of 4 CPU WUs I've recevied have been from other projects.
EricE

Post by EricE »

nicyoong wrote:Yes, I also want work units specific to COVID-19 and just that. I intend to help the world find a cure for COVID-19 as much as I can.
Any work units on protein folding will help not only with COVID-19 but whatever is sure to come after it.

I hope people are not going to withhold processing until they can get some petty menu item. The project runners have already stated COVID-19 is prioritized whether there is a menu item for it or not. Let those clients rip!