COVID-19 - new WUs available?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GingeraMan

Re: COVID-19 - new WUs available?

Post by GingeraMan »

Can we get some announcement on the public Web page about all this. If anything it makes for a good news story. Have the servers crashed or something? Or have all work units been exhausted?
ooskars

Post by ooskars »

Yes, I would love to know more too. My GPU is being idle since 2 days ago...
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The response to the various media postings has been a bit overwhelming. So many new persons have turned out that the requests exceeded the ability of the existing servers to provide work. Currently requests for work are coming at a rate that is more than 10 times what it was about a week ago. At the peak the rate was even higher. Some available, older servers were brought back online, plus a couple recently purchased servers finished being set up, but they are not enough.

To meet the demand more servers are in the process of being set up. But that takes a bit of time. I can see from the server status page that includes two being set up on Azure. From what I understand more servers are in progress.

So for right now the servers are providing as many WU's as they can, getting an assignment is a bit of the luck of the draw when your system connects with a request. Last I checked the listing, the rate was over 50,000 WU's an hour. As servers get set up more will be assigned WU's sooner.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
andreassen51
Hardware configuration: Intel 8700, 64Gb RAM, Asus RTX 2070, Noctua cooler

Post by andreassen51 »

Hi, who's reading this in 2020?

I've joined team 55186 to have all the points removed. Ran the 4 CPU threads for six hours and I've been idle for almost a day.

I've had all cores running together with the RTX 2070 before I've joined the team. Is it a coincidence that it grinds to a halt?

Regards.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Joe_H wrote:The response to the various media postings has been a bit overwhelming. So many new persons have turned out that the requests exceeded the ability of the existing servers to provide work. Currently requests for work are coming at a rate that is more than 10 times what it was about a week ago. At the peak the rate was even higher. Some available, older servers were brought back online, plus a couple recently purchased servers finished being set up, but they are not enough.

To meet the demand more servers are in the process of being set up. But that takes a bit of time. I can see from the server status page that includes two being set up on Azure. From what I understand more servers are in progress.

So for right now the servers are providing as many WU's as they can, getting an assignment is a bit of the luck of the draw when your system connects with a request. Last I checked the listing, the rate was over 50,000 WU's an hour. As servers get set up more will be assigned WU's sooner.
I've removed FAH until the issues are over. I hope a significant portion of the newcomers will stay to help cure all kinds of diseases. If they are discouraged from not getting any work, I'll add my 2 cents not to overload the servers.

I'll be back as soon as the issues are resolved!
andreassen51

Post by andreassen51 »

Hi, thanks for... clearing that up. I'll get that I can get back to X-Plane for a while but when I'm in a 737 how can I be notified that there is a job for me? Or am I better off sitting idle until it fires up?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

andreassen51 wrote:Hi, thanks for... clearing that up. I'll get that I can get back to X-Plane for a while but when I'm in a 737 how can I be notified that there is a job for me? Or am I better off sitting idle until it fires up?
There's no notification. The software will periodically ping the backend servers and pick up workunits when they can. So I would recommend just leaving everything running. The new servers and new projects should come online very soon.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
andreassen51

Post by andreassen51 »

Yes, exactly my point. I'm quite fluent in the error messages (it's running in a terminal) and sorry I was coy. It was my way of getting the point across and I'm a little tired and haven't eaten yet.

Regards.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Some of the projects that don't specifically mention COVID-19 are investigating proteins that are related to components of potential anti-virus drugs. Others are, as you suggest, simply research projects that were started before the virus appeared and still need to be done. There's a certain amount of the researcher's time that goes into the preparation of new projects and there are a finite number of hours in the day. They're releasing new projects as fast as they can.