FAH on ubuntu 17.04

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: FAH on ubuntu 17.04

Post by Nathan_P »

SteveWillis wrote:Just a suggestion: Linux Mint. The only issues I've ever had were the Python dependency and I had to manually download the current GPUs.txt file. Since I don't even know what you mean by the client going down I assume it has never happened to me. Mint is very user friendly.
Got to agree with this, there will be a mint install guide out soon, once I have got my last rig up and running and tested out my notes.
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Re: FAH on ubuntu 17.04

Post by v00d00 »

FAH works on all Linux distros, even if you maybe need to do a little legwork. The problem seems more to be people who don't have enough experience in using and administrating Linux systems. I was like some of these people about 15 years ago and had no real clue when a problem struck. But nowadays I don't just see problems, I also see solutions to problems.

For example in the Suse thread. The poster was unable to work out dependencies. By running ldd against FAHClient and FAHControl, it would have told him what was missing. Then going to pkgs.org and searching for the shared objects would have given him the pkgs he needed. Being able to do that comes from experience, googling a lot and maybe doing a little programming on the side.

Similarly if the kernel is causing driver issues, then downgrade it, unless you specifically need a driver that comes with it. Or even easier, see what everyone else is running on here and use the same. It seems no one recommends this version of Ubuntu, but alot are using 14. So install 14. If the system is just a headless folding machine its even easier, and shouldnt take more than 20 mins using a netinstall disk (minimal install and do the post-install setup over ssh).

QuintLeo's issue with slot confusion is similarly easy to fix if you break the problem down. Him blaming it on PG isn't really on. This is the way its always been and its not like PG hide the fact either. If you fold, then their are occasions when problems occur. This forum is their mainly for dealing with those issues. But some issues are easier to fix yourself. Some solutions are found by trial and error. When you have run folding for over 10 years, things get a lot easier to handle and deal with.