Re: Poll: the ocore or AMD Linux core17?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Which should be launched next, the ocore or the AMD Linux core17?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm

The beta ocore.
26%
An AMD Linux build of FahCore 17.
74%

Total votes: 34

Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Re: Poll: the ocore or AMD Linux core17?

Post by Jesse_V »

<Cygnus-XI> we need no worry, phase 2 of Curecoin is coming soon, this will bring investor confidence. phase 3 is going to make CC huge. All plans worked out with me and the other 2 other main devs
<Cygnus-XI> If we could just get this core 17 for amd linux.... viewtopic.php?f=86&t=26374 , it sounds like ocore is going to take time to perfect, while the amd core 17 might be achievable soon.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

Jesse_V wrote:<Cygnus-XI> we need no worry, phase 2 of Curecoin is coming soon, this will bring investor confidence. phase 3 is going to make CC huge.
It's been acknowledged that the ocore will require a lot of infrastructure development (here), and it's clear from the stats that Curecoin is already processing WUs at an impressive rate- if it becomes "huge" will the current infrastructure be able to cope with the supply of new WUs or will this also require development?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:<Cygnus-XI> we need no worry, phase 2 of Curecoin is coming soon, this will bring investor confidence. phase 3 is going to make CC huge.
It's been acknowledged that the ocore will require a lot of infrastructure development (here), and it's clear from the stats that Curecoin is already processing WUs at an impressive rate- if it becomes "huge" will the current infrastructure be able to cope with the supply of new WUs or will this also require development?
Yes.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

7im wrote:
billford wrote:
Yes.
Not the most informative answer- is that a yes to will it cope? or to will it require development?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes to both. Dr. Pande has stated that FAH has contingency plans to scale up to 1 million donors, and beyond.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Thanks for the clarification.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

From #fah:

Code: Select all

<HumanCell> I am truly excited about the potential of CureCoin, and the incredible hashing power that could be brought to fah by it ... but support for Linux AMD drivers/cards will be critical.
<HumanCell> There are *so* many AMD cards out there.
<HumanCell> And with the recent decline in mining revenues, people are looking for what to do with their GPUs.
<HumanCell> Linux 64-bit is the way to go, and there are turn-key platforms that CureCoin could incorporate into to gain users quickly.
<vorksholk> For sure
From #curecoin:

Code: Select all

* yutong (~yutong@sr12-b1fb7f2f57.Stanford.EDU) has joined #curecoin
<yutong> ....
<Jesse_V> oh hey
<SodaAnt> hi
<yutong> i did not know this place existed
<Jesse_V> nice to join us
<Jesse_V> well it's a great channel, very active
<yutong> you guys want a linux core 17 that much?
<SodaAnt> yes, I think we do
18<24yutong> does AMD for windows not work?
18<24yutong> or all of you linux folks
18<25FifthGB> amd is working with windows for me.
31<Jesse_V>30 it's been my experience that many people here either 1) run Linux and mine with their AMD cards or let them sit idle, or 2) run Windows for core 17 but want to run Linux
18<28HumanCell> There is a huge community of people from the cybercoin mining community that use turn-key distros (like PiMP) for mining ... all Linux 64-bit based.
31<Jesse_V>30 yep
<HumanCell> So miners are starting to talk about it ... but many are not interested in Windows ... like me (with dozens of rigs) we just want to boot a USB stick and let it run.
<HumanCell> The guys at PiMP would consider adding the code to their distro so that fah/CUreCoin would just be an option.
<HumanCell> They already have the AMD 13.12 and 14.4 drivers as options
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Assuming that a Linux core for AMD is released, I'd say Stanford needs to be sure they're ready to supply that many WUs that quickly. They always say that's the kind of problem they'd like to have <snicker> but if they have to order hardware and set it up, it's not something that can be accomplished overnight.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Topic closed.

A beta test of the AMD core has begun.