Project 7660 ???

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ypologos

Project 7660 ???

Post by Ypologos »

I joined F@H b/c I am interested in doing humanitarian work with my PC to help my fellow man, kind of like a good Samaritan. I am Christian and I believe very strongly. I thought that F@H was one way for me to apply God's command "love your fellow man like yourself". I have got my QX9650 CPU working on World Grid tasks (Cure for Schistostomiasis, Malaria, Leishmaniasis, Cancer, Child Cancer and AIDS) and my GTX 580 GPU working a few hours per day on F@H tasks. I read somewhere that F@H helps with finding a cure for cancer and other diseases.

Then today, I got assigned to Project 7660. Here's what the project's description said:

"This project will study the folding and high-energy intermediates of the FF domain, a model protein folding system. What makes this project exciting is that FF has been subject to extensive cutting-edge NMR spectroscopy studies that hope to experimentally reveal folding pathways at atomic resolution, the work of renown experimentalist Lewis Kay. Previously, atomic resolution detail has only been accessible to simulations, like those performed on FAH. Therefore, this provides a unique opportunity for these two methods to benchmark each other -- agreement between both methods would lend a great deal of confidence and scientific credibility to both methods, since each are fairly new and are rapidly pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible in the scientific community"

Looks like this project is a mere comparison of some guys' cool new toys. My GPU is working overtime so that someone can compare his software to someone else's, in other words it is used in a contest to measure someone's e-peen through benchmarking, kind of how computer nerds use Everest or 3D Mark for e-peen fights on MMO Champion boards (e.g. "My PC is da shit, yours sucks").

Please explain to me how my precious GPU time is worth spending here on e-peen projects like the above and not on World Grid doing research on Schistostomiasis, Malaria, Leishmaniasis, Cancer, Child Cancer and AIDS.

Thanks in advance.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: Project 7660 ???

Post by Zagen30 »

I think you're misinterpreting the definition of "benchmark" being used here. This is not comparing one set of software to another. What's being compared is FAH's simulation of the FF folding process and an actual real-life observation of that same process, with that observation being carried out by a well-respected biochemist, not "some guy."
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's important for any type of research to constantly improve the methodology and the tools being used. Next year's projects can't be accomplished with last year's methods. FAH is constantly striving to develop and use improved methods rather than relying on older technology. Some "overhead" needs to be included to accomplish this type of research along with work that directly affects a specific disease.

Hopefully this will be a small portion of the work assigned to you. I do understand and appreciate your concern. There's a feature that is currently being added to the latest version of the client that will allow you to choose what type of project you'd like your contribution to go toward. It's not fully implemented yet (active projects need to be classified on the Servers) but I expect it will be soon. Unfortunately you cannot currently designate your contributions to go ONLY to disease X.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

I am not an expert but this is how I understand it.

Folding@Home is a abstract mathematical model of what they think is happening with protein folding. A model has no use unless it matches reality. This project validates the model against experimental reality so that when f@H is modeling "humanitarian" folding that can not be compared against an experiment its results will be trusted. This project may not be directly humanitarian folding but it is a necessary step to be of use when it is.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Comparing images of real proteins to simulated proteins is the only way to assure that simlations like used by fah are accurate predictors.

And because some protein structures develop too quickly to be imaged, simulations are the only way to study them.

It would be wrong to assume that respected researchers at very respected institutions would resort to a lowly size contest. :(
Last edited by 7im on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Here's a really cool abstract from Taming the Complexity of Protein Folding, by Drs. Bowman, Voelz, and Pande, and published in 2011 Current Opinion in Structural Biology:
Protein folding is an important problem in structural biology with significant medical implications, particularly for misfolding disorders like Alzheimer’s disease. Solving the folding problem will ultimately require a combination of theory and experiment, with theoretical models providing a comprehensive view of folding and experiments grounding these models in reality. Here we review progress towards this goal over the past decade, with an emphasis on recent theoretical advances that are empowering chemically-detailed models of folding and the new results these technologies are providing. In particular, we discuss new insights made possible by Markov state models (MSMs), including the role of non-native contacts and the hub-like character of protein folded states.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.