Suggestion: OS X 64-bit Client

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

willwinuk
Hardware configuration: Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.

Suggestion: OS X 64-bit Client

Post by willwinuk »

Hi,
I would like to just make one quick suggestion, I really think it would be great if FAH on Mac OS X was 64-bit.
--William Cody Winter--
Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.
bruce

Re: Suggestion: OS X 64-bit Client

Post by bruce »

There are a number of shortcomings for the OS-X client that need to be addressed. Enabling the client to run on as many versions of OS-X as possible is one of the goals. I'm not an OS_X guru, but I understand that we have Donors that run a wide variety of versions of MacOS and that some are 32-bit and others are 64-bit. In the case of Windows, with which I'm more familiar, the 32-bit client runs very nicely on either a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows, and there's no particular reason to have a 64-bit client. I'm not sure if the same is true for MacOS or not. There's no particular reason to have a 64-bit version of the Windows client.

On the other hand, there is a good reason to have 32-bit and 64-bit FahCores since that's the part of FAH that really does all the heavy work and can benefit from having a SMP client that can access lots of RAM to make full use of hardware with lots of CPUs.

If there's something I don't understand, please explain it to me.
willwinuk
Hardware configuration: Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.

Post by willwinuk »

Ah I see, then OS X need 64-bit FahCores.
--William Cody Winter--
Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If your hardware and OS support 64-bit cores, then FAH can make good use of 64-bit cores. If your hardware or OS are limited to 32-bit software, then you'll want the 32-bit client and the few 32-bit cores that are available to those systems.i
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

I don't know OS-X very well either, but the client should download the appropriate FahCore for you. That should be all taken care of behind the scenes.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

willwinuk wrote:Ah I see, then OS X need 64-bit FahCores.
No, OS X does not need 64-bit cores. It can use them, and that allows for processing larger WU's than a 32-bit core, but both 32 & 64-bit cores can run on OS X. 64-bit only improves processing if the core needs more than 2 GB of memory for their arrays, most WU's so far do not need that much yet.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Ravage7779

Post by Ravage7779 »

Most people think more bits equal more speed. This is simply not true unless you are manipulating more than 2GB of data at a time. Some day the cores will need to be 64 bits, and if FAH runs for many, many, years into the future, 128 bits.

Of course the computer on your desktop running the client will have 1000+ cores, not be based on silicon, have a couple quads of RAM, and have a holographic storage array capable of storing all the known information in the universe ;)
Get more Mac OS X folding help from the friendly experts @ http://www.foldingathome.org/index.html