GPU client and desktop performance issues

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hiigaran

GPU client and desktop performance issues

Post by hiigaran »

EDIT: ill just include the last problem i have...

attempting to run multiple GPU units on my GTX 590. i can only run one. if i try to set it up for two clients by adding in the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 flags, i get this error:

The program can't start because cudart32_30_14.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

whats strange is that this only happens when i add a -gpu x flag. i can run the client without any problems if i dont have the flags. additionally, same problem if only one client has the flag, and the other does not.

ive already followed the installation guide to the letter. i have one GPU folder for each client, and they are located in the same directory (program files/FAH/GPU1 and program files/FAH/GPU2), so thats not a problem either.

suggestions?
Last edited by hiigaran on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: GPU client and desktop performance issues

Post by 7im »

Welcome to the forum.

Running a 2nd GPU client won't help with the lag, but yes, you can install a client for each GPU chip. The GPU install guide on the FAH web site has info on that.

Aero should be on to help with the lag.

Set the GPU FAH client priority to low in the fah client setup. Leave the SMP client priority in the client setup set at idle.

Reduce the CPU usage slider on both clients from 100 % to 95 %, to free up a few cycles.

Driver version change might help. What driver version is installed?

You could also run the SMP client with -smp 3 (assuming you have a 4 core box) This frees up a core to dedicate to the GPU client, and maybe enough to stop the lag.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Running a 2nd GPU client won't help with the lag, but yes, you can install a client for each GPU chip. The GPU install guide on the FAH web site has info on that.
alrighty, ill take a look through that IF i can solve this problem first.
Aero should be on to help with the lag.
there was no difference when i had it on, but at the same time, im suspecting that i never actually got it to turn on. i select the aero theme, and then change the wallpapers to the ones i had before, using zBar (multi monitor management software), and then it looks like it changes aero back in to windows classic, or whatever its called. that being said, im not sure if i should go ahead and force it on with the registry hack.
Set the GPU FAH client priority to low in the fah client setup. Leave the SMP client priority in the client setup set at idle.
ill report back with this one in a few minutes.
Reduce the CPU usage slider on both clients from 100 % to 95 %, to free up a few cycles.
already tried. even then, i didnt expect it to work, considering the GPU client is now at 5%
Driver version change might help. What driver version is installed?
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

yeah, messed around with the priorities, and tried the CPU percentage again, just in case. still got the same problems
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Here is one of many articles on how to confirm aero is turned on and working properly.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-tu ... aero-peek/
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

yep, i think thats done the trick. perfect! thanks for the help. its actually quite important that i run F@H, because in the winter, the waste heat from the CPU and video card serves as an effective heater. back to 93 degree temperatures!
7im

Post by 7im »

We may need to add a comment about Aero in the install guides....
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

yeah ive noticed many threads mentioning it. but what was different in my case was that i couldnt enable aero because the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service was disabled...you might want to mention that in your guide, just in case...
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

alright, trying to go through that guide on setting up F@H on my other GPU, but when i add either -gpu 0 or -gpu 1, i get an error saying that cudart32_30_14.dll is missing. ideas?
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Why isn't the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service running? It's probably required. I've never heard of the service before but FAH assumes you've got a normal installation of Windows and that does sound like it might be a normal part of Windows that's missing.

Speaking of services, you cannot run the FAH GPU client as a Windows service due to Microsoft's security restrictions. I'm sure that's somewhere in the guide so you probably already know it, but if that's what you're trying to do, it's not going to work.

I think cudart* is installed when you install the nvidia drivers. Are your drivers properly installed?
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

the desktop window manager service can be disabled. i like running things at the near bare minimum, even if it have the hardware to run it all in the first place. anyway, its enabled, so aero is working again. no biggie.

as for services, i dont run the GPU client as a service because it would interfere with my gaming when i feel like running something.

as for the drivers, yes, they are properly installed. the GPU client work well on its own when i dont have the -gpu x parameter set. if i dont have it, it works fine, evident by the fact that its completing work units right now. however, as soon as i put that parameter in, regardless what gpu number it is, i get that error.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Well, if FAH works without the -gpu x parameter, why are you adding it? The V7 client shouldn't need any extra parameters but there are a lot of them that can mess things up.

If it also works when you don't disable an essential service, then I'd say you're bringing on all the problems yourself.

This is a self-help forum where we can share solutions to problems we've run into. Nobody else will be able to help you since they won't have a system that has been tweaked quite like yours. If FAH runs on a "normal" system, then Stanford has done their job in designing and debugging their client.
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

going to bump and say read the first post, as ive edited the whole thing.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

Are you running V7 now? If so, please post the SYSTEM section which is found at the beginning of the log.
Amaruk

Post by Amaruk »

Looks like V6 Console client on Win7.
hiigaran wrote:...i have one GPU folder for each client, and they are located in the same directory (program files/FAH/GPU1 and program files/FAH/GPU2), so thats not a problem either.
Installing clients in Program Files is known to cause issues, as mentioned in the install guide.
WinGPUGuide wrote:After you are done downloading the package, unzip the package in any place except the Program Files folder (due to potential permissions issues). A good suggestion is to create a new folder on C:\Users\[username]\FAH for Vista/Win7 or C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\FAH for XP.
My recommendation would be to finish any current work with the -oneunit flag before removing the current installation. Then do a fresh install using two new directories as suggested above. (For example, C:\Users\[username]\FAH\GPU1 & C:\Users\[username]\FAH\GPU2)