Utilizing this resource

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

zeto

Utilizing this resource

Post by zeto »

I am a university researcher working with the UPR, and I was wondering if there is a way to search for folds of specific proteins to compare with partial x-ray's, or even better a full animation of the folding process?
bruce

Re: Utilizing this resource

Post by bruce »

You may get an official answer from Stanford, but from the layman's point of view, I know of a couple of sources. I'd look carefully at what has been reported on the official Results page where you'll find the technical papers that have been published. I've also seen some semi-official videos on YouTube.
zeto

Post by zeto »

Do you know of any plans to integrate this into the SGD as a theoretical resource? I'd love to be able to just go somewhere and see if the proteins I'm working on have been folded... particularly because we only have partial domains x-ray'd.

I find that if the data isn't easily accessible by the general research community in a way that is essentially analogous to the other utilities that we use (PyMOL) then it's not exactly fulfilling the project's goal. I started folding when it first came out, and now that I'm actually in a field that could benefit from it, I'd really like to know how researchers can utilize what's being done.

Thanks!
VijayPande
Pande Group Member

Post by VijayPande »

Our primary purpose is to understand *how* proteins fold (and how they misfold in various diseases), so it's been most natural to keep with the standard academic paradigm of scientific papers. A lot of our know-how is codified in our software, which we do make freely available (eg http://simtk.org/home/msmbuilder and http://simtk.org/home/openmm).
Prof. Vijay Pande, PhD
Departments of Chemistry, Structural Biology, and Computer Science
Chair, Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project
Stanford University