Cystic Fibrosis [studied by fah?]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

numlok

Cystic Fibrosis [studied by fah?]

Post by numlok »

Hello there,

I was curious if there are any plans to introduce protein folding issues related to Cystic Fibrosis to the FAH program?

I did notice the disease mentioned in the FAQ, but do not see it listed as an active folding interest.

I have seen studies done at other facilities: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 153126.htm but just thought that FAH could really "pump it up" a notch if it became involved (I've heard the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is pretty good at funding research, if that is a consideration).

Just FYI, I have a two-year-old son with CF, and am also an active folder. It would be awesome to think that my folding (something I'll continue to do regardless) could have a direct impact on my son's ability to cope with the disease.

I hope you will entertain the thought.

Cheers,

-numlok
debian4life

Re: Cystic Fibrosis

Post by debian4life »

I too would like to see this added as an active research.

Duplicate topics merged. -7im

See also: Diseases Studied FAQ

Welcome to the Folding Forum
debian4life

Cystic Fibrosis supported?

Post by debian4life »

Hi,

I was wondering if Cystic Fibrosis has been added to the active studies on FaH? This is a serious disease that has caused my 7 year old son 46 hospital stays and 9 operations thus far. This would really help out with this disease. Thank you for your consideration!

Debian4life
alanazar

Re: Cystic Fibrosis [studied by fah?]

Post by alanazar »

Hello,

I'm bumping this article, has there been any news on this since?

I've already checked the website and it's still there in the FAQs but I haven't found any projects targeting this specifically.

Are there plans for this to be added soon? And in the meantime, are there any projects that tackle it in a more general way?
alanazar

Post by alanazar »

Can someone please help answer this or get attention of the person who can answer it?

Thank you
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Hey Alanazar

Unfortunately, Cystic Fibrosis is not mentioned in the diseases list they are currently studying, nor can I find a project which focussed on the disease. Perhaps with more computing power, the Pande Group can start a pilot project for this disease. So please keep folding!

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Diseases
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/allprojects
alanazar

Post by alanazar »

Hey thanks for the reply!

I know they're not currently running any projects but they have actually mentioned it in the 1st link you've posted:

"What happens if proteins don't fold correctly?
Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers are believed to result from protein misfolding."

I'm assuming that better understanding the underlying issues in protein misfolding will have some benefits in tackling cystic fibrosis. I was just interested to know which projects those might be and if they may tackle it more specifically.

Not sure if you have the answer but thanks again anyways for replying :) and don't worry i've been folding (i admit on\off) since the project's beginnings :D
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Well, lots of the F@H projects are basis biochemic/protein research, which can benefit all sorts of diseases. This is certainly useful for possible future Cystic Fibrosis research (or other diseases).

Do note that new diseases are studied by F@H almost every year. In 2010 they started pilot projects on malaria and chagas and there are currently projects studying diabetes and HIV as well. It's certainly possible that Cystic Fibrosis will be added to that list in a few years, but only members of PG can give you a definite answer.
alanazar

Post by alanazar »

aha that's interesting! Thanks again!
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

I don't have any background in biotech, but like JonazzDJ, I think Pande Group is doing what could be called basic research (?), as opposed to focusing on relatively late stages of research targeting specific cure candidates for specific diseases. In addition to various papers, PG has published or participated in e.g OpenMM and Copernicus ( viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19985#p198700 ), enabling other researchers to use their methodology. Perhaps further collaboration with other research facilities will spawn FAH projects which are directly involved in studying Cystic Fibrosis.

Despite lacking in-depth understanding of scientific aspects behind FAH, I found e.g New Futures In Biotech episode about Folding@home an interesting piece to watch, not too overwhelming for a layman like myself.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display