RPC (svchost.exe) using tons of CPU usage [resolved]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Skillz

RPC (svchost.exe) using tons of CPU usage [resolved]

Post by Skillz »

I am having a problem with my laptop running Windows XP MCE.

For some reason a process called svchost.exe will begin using up around 50 - 75% of the CPU, taking away precious CPU cycles from F@H. It is really getting on my nerves. I used Process Explorer to see what file/program was calling it and it appears to be coming from Remote Procedure Call (RPC), it will also begin using up lots of memory. I normally catch it around 75/80Mb but I've seen it eat up as much as 250Mb.

I've ran updated virus scanners that turn up nothing, registry checks that turn up nothing, I've even downloaded/tested for the Blaster worm, but no avail.

I also seem to loose copy/paste functions unless I restart the computer.

Can someone please tell me what the problem might be, what other action(s) I can take to find the problem without doing a complete format?

If I manually kill the process, it will normally stop for a good while. Its not until I leave the computer for a long period of time does it start back up.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: RPC (svchost.exe) using tons of CPU usage

Post by 7im »

Might be one cause.

CPU usage may reach 100 percent when you resume a computer that is running Windows XP from standby multiple times

Or did you install fah as a service? Which client ver and type?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Skillz

Re: RPC (svchost.exe) using tons of CPU usage

Post by Skillz »

I think I may have fixed the problem, I installed a few updates relating to the RPC, deleted a few files, turned off a few services, and some other things I can't remember. Seems to be back running fine now. Thanks guys!!