how many ps3's would it take...

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JonesZen

how many ps3's would it take...

Post by JonesZen »

to make a noticable difference?

(mods please move if i'm in the wrong section, thx)

Edit by Mod:
Section is OK, but I'm changing the title from
"how many p3's..." to "how many ps3's..."
(See the discussion below)
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: how many p3's would it take...

Post by Nathan_P »

Given the speed of the average P3 i would say it would take thousands to make a noticable difference. and i have to ask - why do you want to know?
JonesZen

Post by JonesZen »

i sell p3's mate, its what i do. not only that, but 80% of the people who come to me wanting a 360, leave with a p3. Its the most sophisticated gaming system on the planet.

you say thousands, i have no qualms about saying i can get thousands of p3's up and running folding virtually over night. please believe that.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... pe=osstats

There are about 38000 PS3s that have uploaded a result recently. The total number who have tried FAH is astronomical compared to that. Unfortunately many people try FAH and give up when they find out that it's serious business and it takes a long time to accumulate any appreciable number of results.

The 38000 is just slightly more than the number of active GPUs and they probably turn in a similar amount of total work. These numbers are dwarfed by the number of clients for Windows/Linux/Mac but it takes a lot more of those clients to produce the same amount of results (although they can do certain types of work that can't be done with the GPU/Cell clients).
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

JonesZen wrote:i sell p3's mate, its what i do. not only that, but 80% of the people who come to me wanting a 360, leave with a p3. Its the most sophisticated gaming system on the planet.

you say thousands, i have no qualms about saying i can get thousands of p3's up and running folding virtually over night. please believe that.

Aha - we have misunderstood each other - i took p3 to mean the old pentium 3 processors from intel not the shiny PS3 from Sony :oops:
the PS3 is a fine folder and as codysluder says there are lots of them folding away - including most of my team mates
Last edited by Nathan_P on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlipBack

Post by FlipBack »

Yeah, at first I thought he meant Pentium 3's. Generally PlayStation 3 is abbreviated as PS3.
JonesZen

Post by JonesZen »

lo siento. jersey accent, would gig/model affect performance¿ thx for the link :eugeek:
bruce

Post by bruce »

JonesZen wrote:lo siento. jersey accent, would gig/model affect performance¿ thx for the link :eugeek:
FAH's performance depends on the speed of the Cell, and last I heard, they're all the same, though you'd know more about them than I would. More HD or more RAM wouldn't matter.

Why don't you set up a demo box in your store and display the protein it's folding. Then when somebody asks, you can talk about the fact that this isn't a game but rather it's genuine scientific research done by Stanford University and they can help when they're sleeping or otherwise not using it as a game console. (You'll need to read a little at folding.stanford.edu so you can make the proper sales pitch for FAH) This is another reason to buy a PS3 as AFAIK no other game console can do anything similar.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Don't forget however, that they can have quite a big power usage impact. (consoles left on when usually they wouldn't, utilisation running @ 100% when normally they'd be idle).

A lot of users might not be aware of that until they get their power bill & this could have a negative impact both to your shop & the project...
JonesZen

Re: how many ps3's would it take...

Post by JonesZen »

ideally we'll have one up and running in every gamestop, 4000 nationwide, plus overseas, not to mention employees who own ps3's.

my plan is to initially get my district up and running from just employee ps3's, set teams by store, tally the results and make it a competition. we dont exactly have a softball team.

i'm tight with the majority of my districts managers/assistants and game advisors, so i see this taking flight quickly. once we get the district, then region, then states.

i can implement at least the district from my end, and i've talked to Terry who hooked me up with the forum, we chatted about marketing and such, but in order to make this more provactive from a corporate view, i know gamestop will want some sort off cross prokmotional deal. all that can be meshed out later tho.
bruce

Post by bruce »

JonesZen wrote:i can implement at least the district from my end, and i've talked to Terry who hooked me up with the forum, we chatted about marketing and such, but in order to make this more provactive from a corporate view, i know gamestop will want some sort off cross prokmotional deal. all that can be meshed out later tho.
That may be a problem.

First, I do not speak for Stanford University, nor do I speak for Sony. You're welcome to contact either of them and work out whatever they may agree to.

As far as this forum is concerned, we strictly prohibit advertising or other commercial uses of our site. From our perspective, FAH is a voluntary project that works off of donations. (e.g.- As forum Moderators, we receive no remuneration.) You're welcome to promote FAH if it you choose, and if it helps you sell your product, that's fine with us, but if you don't choose to promote FAH, it's your choice to make. We are not here to promote your store or the products you sell and we don't have any incentives that we can offer you if you promote FAH.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

How many threads do you need Jones?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12482
JonesZen

Post by JonesZen »

feel free to merge them if you like, i dont do forums, apologies for my e-tiquette. I'll be honest, i dont care to promote gamestop, i'm trying to get more folks involved with FAH. its christmas, peoples are going to be buying ps3's, and i want them to know that FAH is pre-installed, free, and beneficial. i had a technical question, and a general question, so i made 2 threads.

my e-mail is figment@umd.edu, if private e-mail is preferable, or i can call the university if someone would like to chat, just give me a time and an extension.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Jones, if you want a cooperation between gamestop and PG, don't use the forum, contact Vijah directly -> ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=11 ( opens a pm window to VP ).

There is no direct email present on the forum's but he will answer, always done so in the past even for a mear donor like me. Big ideas need the higher up people to approve, then they usually come back down to ask us commoners what exactly we should do ( ow wait, I hear an alarm going off, must still have been dreaming ).

Maybe the difference between the threads wasn't very clear to me, sorry if they where so separate they had their own intended usage.

Again, good luck, and if you want to ask specifics, don't hesitate.