Install FAH on computer with non-admin primary user

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Familyman_19

Re: Install FAH on computer with non-admin primary user

Post by Familyman_19 »

I am so confused, and here I thought I was a pretty smart guy.

I didn't try adding the shortcut yet, but if I wanted to manually run the FAH client which executable should I run? FAHclient.exe correct? Now when I do that I get an error that FAHCore_a7.exe has stopped working.
ajm

Post by ajm »

Well, the shortcut normally launches two executables AND open Web Control:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe" --open-web-control
or for you:
"C:\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe" --open-web-control

AND
it prescribes the data folder to use:
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient
or for you:
C:\ProgramData\FAHClient

So I don't see how you can do that with a simple double clic. I suppose that you could make a script or of course you can try and reconstitute a shortcut with customized entries.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Windows should not give you permission to write in "program files" except when actually installing software and that requires permission. FAHClient should NOT be permitted to put it's working files in "program files" directory which is why the double-click method of starting FAH doesn't work.

The shortcut has a "start in" directory which is essential so FAH has permission to create files and it finds them again when you restart FAHClient. Then you can accomplish the same thing with a dos level script or manual command by doing a "cd (workfilepath)" The actual .exe files are not installed there, so they must explicitly specify the full path to them.

There is Windows development work done on the windows installer which may change this procedure so it works for all users rather than only for the individual user that performed the original FAH installation.