Improving performance on multi-core hardware (basic)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Improving performance on multi-core hardware (basic)

Post by bruce »

richmintz wrote:Just confirming: in Linux, on the same hardware, it ran overnight at 100% CPU x 8 with no overheating problem. (Have since set it to 4, I forgot last night.) Windows runs hotter, apparently.
This isn't what I would have expected, but it is possible. It must be a differentce between the Windows driver and the Linux driver. I don't have the hardware required to investigate, though, so if you' are willing to experiment further, I have a few questions.

In both OS, while runnning WUs from the same project IF POSSIBLE. what temperature are you seeing and what clock rate are you seeing for the same number of cores?

When running a GPU, I presume that the driver support is different. FAHCore_2x will occupy 100% of one CPU in Windows, and much less in Linux. Right? (Note: this is in spite of differences in how the OSs report %CPU activity)
richmintz

Post by richmintz »

So, here's where I netted out:

- On this harrdware, Linux runs a little cooler than Windows, so I'll fold on Linux
- I can run a CPU WU on Full (even when not idle and doing my normal light use) and the max temp is managed to a steady 80 deg C (which is okay), even when the laptop is on my lap
- As soon as a GPU WU is added (even at Medium), the temp slowly rises. When it hits 90 deg C, Linux summarily shuts down. (I tested it twice, just so I would know the limits.) I assume this can be tuned but I don't want to, it's a good safeguard.

So I'm going to fold on Full on CPU only, until I get my cooling mat, and then we'll see.

Thanks all for this very useful feedback. It's been an education for me and I feel more confident that I understand how my hardware works.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

I'll throw in a few thoughts - though they might not help much but you might want to keep in mind for future.

On a number of laptops I have had running the CPU at max has pretty much always heated up the laptop far more than running the graphics hard ... all have had the usual laptop issues with cooling (small skinny heat pipes shared by both CPU and GPU - I hate that design and from the symptoms you describe I would not be surprised to find yours configured that way) and under usual circumstances if I was going to choose one or the other then I might tend towards folding GPU only simply as the laptop may run cooler and the power of the GPU tends to get the science done quicker ... that isn't to say the CPU science isn't as or more important simply that the GPU gets more done.

At the moment however with there being few GPU projects in play, and many GPU folders with idle farms waiting for WUs, then actually doing what you have chosen and that is CPU folding will at least keep you kit busy and actively contributing.

If you want to see how your laptop is configured inside you will probably find a breakdown video of it on YouTube ... It can be quite scary to see how little space and how small the cooling system is all in the name of compactness and portability - and it is no wonder laptops for he most part tend to run hot and in many cases not cope with full use of their CPUs and GPUs on a sustained basis !!
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
richmintz

Post by richmintz »

Thank you - I was wondering about CPU vs. GPU power and considered experimenting with it on this very machine! But honestly I have something that works and there's a cooling fan on the way so I'll probably save that for the next one.

I currently have 5 machines folding 24/7 (two of which I also use for other things) and have just about reached the point where they're all physically positioned for maximum airflow and all running stable and I just have to check on them every couple of days. The last thing to do is to try to install Linux on my old MacBook Air to see if I can get it to run a little cooler...
richmintz

Post by richmintz »

Bruce, I'm happy to experiment in my next round of fiddling. How would I get 2 WUs from the same project? (Or am I getting serial WUs from the same project and just not realizing it? I'll check.)
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

What you can do is to choose COVID for both OS (Windows & Linux) and that hopefully, will be enough for you to get WUs from the same Project on both OS.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Not sure how Windows 10 goes around, but Windows Vista used to be a horrendous resource hog; doing all kinds of activity in the background, wearing out HDD and eating system resources and precious CPU cycles.
I'm sure Windows 10 isn't much better on background CPU cycles.
Compared to Linux that is pretty much running zero % on CPU when passive.