task too big

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

lithia

task too big

Post by lithia »

My third molecule will take 240 days to complete how do I stop it and get a smaller one one?
anandhanju

Re: task too big

Post by anandhanju »

Welcome to the Folding forum, Lithia!

Are you running the graphical client? It likes to exaggerate quite a bit when it starts a new work unit (WU). After a couple of frames (typically, a couple of hours), the predicted number should be much more accurate.

If you still see the same estimate after a few hours, please post the relevant contents on your FAHLog.txt here.

-----
Anand
lithia

Post by lithia »

There are 4000 frames the others were 300 frames it will take about 13 weeks to run on my laptop. I tried reinstalling the program but got the same molecule back.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

How long did you let it run? Just leave it alone for 2-3 hours and come back with any new numbers you see.

edit- The number of frames reported in the 5.03 GUI client don't mean much. Every other one uses 1% of the total as a "frame". Don't worry about the number of frames.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

bruce

Post by bruce »

uncle fuzzy wrote:The number of frames reported in the 5.03 GUI client don't mean much. Every other one uses 1% of the total as a "frame". Don't worry about the number of frames.
The GUI client reports a ratio. If it says 6/300 frames that's 2%, just as it is if it says 500/25000 or 80/4000.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Part of the problem is that Stanford uses "frames" to mean one of two things.
First:- The number of saved checkpoints in a work unit.
Second:- The number of loops the work unit must do to finish.
If you see a frame number over 200 then its the second meaning and you'll do x number of frames per frame ......... :P

Also sometimes the monitoring programs think the first timed checkpoint save after 15 mins ( or when ever your's is set to ) is the end of the first frame.
And will give you a silly short work unit time.
Or it will mix up frames & frames
And hence the silly long work unit time untill after its finished a couple of real frames.

Luck ............. :D
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

bruce wrote:
uncle fuzzy wrote:The number of frames reported in the 5.03 GUI client don't mean much. Every other one uses 1% of the total as a "frame". Don't worry about the number of frames.
The GUI client reports a ratio. If it says 6/300 frames that's 2%, just as it is if it says 500/25000 or 80/4000.
True, but he seemed concerned about the total number of frames listed- 4000 vs. 300. That is the part I said not to worry about. The only thing the total "frames" is good for is to let you figure your progress. "Frame time" is too variable to have any consistant meaning.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

lithia

Post by lithia »

I went into program files and killed the task there was little chance that the task would finish in a reasonable time. It would be nice if the program would give me the option of refusing a task. Beta writers are you listening?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

lithia wrote:Beta writers are you listening?
There is little need for that. Any P3-450 running 8 hours a day will make the deadlines. Surely you are running on a computer much faster than that. And unless you answered YES to the question about getting large work units in the client setup, you already are getting small work units.

And a "resonable time" to complete a work unit varies a lot. Some work units finish in a day. Some work units finish in 10 days. The first work unit is worth 100 points, the 2nd is 1000 points. So don't get too caught up in the number of frames, etc.

I do not think the fah task is too big for your system. Just let it run.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

lithia wrote:I went into program files and killed the task there was little chance that the task would finish in a reasonable time. It would be nice if the program would give me the option of refusing a task. Beta writers are you listening?
Please provide us with a little more information.

1) What was the actual assignment? If you open the file called FAHlog.txt, you'll find a history of what you've done and you should be able to find Program / Run / Clone / Gen numbers for that assignment (and the next one, if you've downloaded something else.

2) What are the specs for your computer? Speed/CPU type/Ram size/ etc.