General server issues?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: General server issues?

Post by 7im »

Obcy_from_Poznan wrote:
7im wrote: No, AFAIK, those applications only read data from the FAH directory to provide status info. They do not write and move info.
Then, I have no other logical explanations.
I'll just keep folding and pay attention to what happens later.
Thanks for your assistance
I think you missed my point. I think the "other" software causing the problem was Total Commander.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's one other possible explanation. Perhaps you've used the -local flag some of the time and not other times. There probably is an entry in your registry pointing to the other location from some time back when you installed the GUI client. As far as FAH is concerned you DO have two installations. One which is the most recent installation and another where the "extra" copy of FAHlog is ending up because of that registry entry.

This may not apply to you, but if it does, it's a reasonable explanation.
Obcy_from_Poznan
Hardware configuration: HIS Radeon HD4890

Post by Obcy_from_Poznan »

7im wrote: I think you missed my point. I think the "other" software causing the problem was Total Commander.
Well, I did not miss it, I just omitted it as not very probable explanation. I really do not think that TC could have caused all the trouble with FAH.

Total Commander is just a file manager which is commonly used by PC users who remember the early 90s when (MS)DOS was used instead of GUI SYSOPS like win 95 and later. Total Commander resembles Norton Commander which was very popular in the times when MS DOS had reigned.
I use TC because I got used to NC in the early 1990s :)
Obcy_from_Poznan
Hardware configuration: HIS Radeon HD4890

Post by Obcy_from_Poznan »

bruce wrote:There's one other possible explanation. Perhaps you've used the -local flag some of the time and not other times. There probably is an entry in your registry pointing to the other location from some time back when you installed the GUI client. As far as FAH is concerned you DO have two installations. One which is the most recent installation and another where the "extra" copy of FAHlog is ending up because of that registry entry.

This may not apply to you, but if it does, it's a reasonable explanation.
Yes. It is a reasonable explanation.
For the time being I'm going to leave this installation as it is because it seems to be working fine, but as I mentioned earlier, I am going to watch the logs and behavior of FAH.
btw, Where does FAH save its logs as default?
I'm asking this questions because I have got 2 places of the log now. The new info of folding is being recorded in the log located in c:\Documents and Settings\user directory, but there is also its (fragmented) copy in a directory where I put the file *.exe of FAH (Program Files)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Obcy_from_Poznan wrote:btw, Where does FAH save its logs as default?
It depends.

We expect that the logs (and all other files) are placed in the location where the executable was installed, but that doesn't always happen.

When you download the console client you only get an executable, and you're responsible for where you put it. (It's not packaged as a Windows installer). When you build a shortcut to the client, the "start in" portion of that shortcut does a "change directory" to that location so when all the files are written to the current directory, they end up in the same location as the client. As any good DOS programmer knows, the could be put somewhere else with the judicious use of a path for the CD command and a full path-name for the executable, but nobody would ever do that.

When you run the installer for the GUI client, an entry is added to the registry pointing to the installation directory. After that entry is there, when a client is started, the current directory is ignored and the files are written in that directory.

After the entry has been added to the registry, you must use the -local flag so that clients ignore the registry and use the current directory if that's what you want them to do.

I'm going to move this discussion to a more appropriate forum. This is certainly NOT a topic for "Issues with a specific server"