Feature Request for All Clients [Auto Update Clients?] [No]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Re: Feature Request for All Clients

Post by MtM »

bruce wrote:
MtM wrote:True but notfred is linux right? Linux is bad ass, but realistly in the future how much revenue will there come from linux boxes compared to windows boxes?...
You missed my point entirely. Whether notfred's client is running linux or not isn't important because you don't have to DO ANYTHING to it. It just boots and runs. That means there are two circumstances where it meets your exact criteria when you're talking about "windows box".

1) WIndows is being shut down and you want to fold until you start Windows again.
2) You have installed Virtual Appliance software which allows you to run something other than Windows inside of WIndows. The virtual machine can be booted without shutting down Windows -- it's just something else that's running. Again, you don't see any Linux. It's sort of like your cell-phone or your ipod or your GPS. They just run. You can't tell whether they're running Windows or LInux or something else because you just turn it on and it does its thing.

There's no reason why notfred and Virtual Appliance couldn't be be packaged together to run as a batch Windows job.
Mhm so basicly you're saying development of a windows variant is counterproductive in regards to adding notfred to a vm batch job... makes some sence, especially since it like you say has the options I talked about. Going to look into that thanks :)
bruce

Re: Feature Request for All Clients

Post by bruce »

I'm not sure I'd use the word counterproductive. I'm just saying that there's a reasonable chance that the Pande Group will not put as much time and money into that project as you're asking (their emphasis is on good, fast science and user interfaces often get a secondary level of effort). Until they do what you're asking, there may be an alternative that you haven't explored that could accomplish the same thing.