v8.3.5 no longer automatically requests new work - have to pause then resume to get new WUs

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RolandSchweiger

v8.3.5 no longer automatically requests new work - have to pause then resume to get new WUs

Post by RolandSchweiger »

System Summary
CPU : Intel I7 9700k
GPU1 : iGPU UHD 630 (integrated graphics)
GPU2 : nVidia GeForce GTX 1050
FAH : v.8.3.5
logged in and imported passKey
enabled "beta" in advanced-settings

Everything appears to be working fine, the nVidia graphics card is being used, and i enabled 5 of my 8 CPU cors wor separate CPU WUs. The Intel integrated graphics does show up and then always says "waiting" so i assume there is simply no work for this weak GPU.

But now the following happens :
Have WUs for CPU and GPU and when they are finished and uploades, NO NEW WUs are downloaded.
I must manually press the FOLD button to get new work.
If e.g. CPU + GPU WUs are active and one finishes while the other is still running, again, new new work comes in.
I must press the PAUSE (Pause Now) then FOLD to "bump" the client to get new work.

Does anyone have similar behaviour? Could this just simply be a temporary glitch or am i doing something wrong?

greetings from Vienna
Roland Schweiger
enroscado

Re: v8.3.5 no longer automatically requests new work - have to pause then resume to get new WUs

Post by enroscado »

I encountered a similar issue since April 13th: my 3 Ubuntu folding rigs (CPUs and GPUS) would download a Work Unit, and immediately return it. Logs would show "Bad Work Unit". I should mention there are 8 clients in total, all 8 were behaving the same way.

Yesterday, I restarted all rigs, and started working again, however the overall performance fell from ~70 million PPD to ~10 million PPD, without having changed anything from my end.

Seems like there may be something going on server-side.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: v8.3.5 no longer automatically requests new work - have to pause then resume to get new WUs

Post by calxalot »

What happens if you deselect the "beta" option?
RolandSchweiger

just disabled "beta" and then the "advanced" features also disappeares. Will have to wait till my current WUs finish and will reply to tell what is happening. I am on Team 0 so don't request any specific work.
RolandSchweiger

OK problem persists: have disabled "Beta".
WUs finish and no new WUs are downloaded. Even if multiple times pressing the FOLD button no new WUs are downloaded.
I must press PAUSE / Pause now, then press FOLD and only then will i get new work.
RolandSchweiger

think i found a temporary solution.
Disabled (unticked) the Intel internal iGpu UHD 630 graphics card.
Id did not fold anyway and requested new work every 8 minutes but no work was ever given so i simply assumed it was too weak anyway.
Having disabled this card (not disabled but unticked in the machine setting)
now the client automatically gets new work for cpu and nVidia GPU.
Still consider this a bug and i suppose there could be some work for the internal graphics card, but it least its a work around.