Max CPU threads for "Full power"

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
belloq

Max CPU threads for "Full power"

Post by belloq »

Is there a client option (win/mac) which can be use to set the highest/max number of CPU threads which folding is allowed to use when set to "full power"? For my Mac machines for example, i want to set it to the number of Performance Cores the processesor has, as I've read utilizing the Efficiency cores can actually slow down processing.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Max CPU threads for "Full power"

Post by Joe_H »

Not really. However you can explicitly set the number of CPU threads within FAHControl, that number overrides the value that the slider would otherwise set. That applies to the v7 client. The web based control for the public beta v8 client sets the number within the machine settings.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

For Apple Silicon, you need to manually set the cpus and not exceed the p-core count.

On first run on macOS, v8 will set cpus to your p-core count, unless there is a cpus setting in config.xml. After that it’s up to you.

On Windows/linux with big.little, it’s up to you to set the proper cpus count. And use something like Process Lasso on Windows to set affinity.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

belloq wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:38 pm Is there a client option (win/mac) which can be use to set the highest/max number of CPU threads which folding is allowed to use when set to "full power"? For my Mac machines for example, i want to set it to the number of Performance Cores the processesor has, as I've read utilizing the Efficiency cores can actually slow down processing.
You can edit the number of threads for CPU slot using FAHControl (Advanced Control). The power slider is pretty much useless ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.