Seeking Clarification on Folding@Home Operations During Gaming Sessions

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

HisShadowX

Seeking Clarification on Folding@Home Operations During Gaming Sessions

Post by HisShadowX »

Good evening, as a former PS3 folding user, I'm looking to get involved again, but I'm finding the new mode quite confusing. If I understand correctly, hitting 'stop' doesn't pause the task to be resumed later within a time limit; it completely cancels it, right? Since I'm into heavy gaming, I need to make sure I can contribute during my off time or possibly when I'm working, but definitely not during my gaming sessions. Also, do I appear on the leaderboards only after completing my first batch? Thanks, I'm eager to help and donate my resources in my spare time from gaming.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Seeking Clarification on Folding@Home Operations During Gaming Sessions

Post by BobWilliams757 »

You can get more specific answers if you let us know which version of the software you are using. There are small differences and in the case of 7.6.21 you have the web version as well as advanced control.

But either way, you can pause a work unit without stopping all completed progress. Once you resume after your gaming session you will pick up from where the last checkpoint was. This may duplicate some work, but you don't lose all progress. Unless you have gear that barely meets timeouts it shouldn't cause you any issues.

As for statistics, they are kept almost real time up to date on https://stats.foldingathome.org/
Credits show up for work units you complete, and overall scores keep moving upward as long as you keep folding.
Fold them if you get them!
JimboPalmer

Re: Seeking Clarification on Folding@Home Operations During Gaming Sessions

Post by JimboPalmer »

in the v8 beta web client there is a button Pause Folding. Then you choose Pause Now, or Finish up then Pause.

in the v7 production advanced client, there are 2 two buttons; Pause and Finish
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends