Linux (Debian) fahclient will not connect to FAHControl running on Arch Linux

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Fldngbob

Re: Linux (Debian) fahclient will not connect to FAHControl running on Arch Linux

Post by Fldngbob »

calxalot wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:12 pm If you want your allow to be meaningful on v7, you also need

Code: Select all

<deny v=“0.0.0.0/0”/>
Thanks for catching my error. I have edited the "Web Access" section to include the "deny" line
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: Linux (Debian) fahclient will not connect to FAHControl running on Arch Linux

Post by calxalot »

One more thing...
You need to use sudo for the service commands.

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl start FAHClient.service
sudo systemctl status FAHClient.service
Fldngbob

Post by Fldngbob »

This is true, calxalot.
This can become a conversation that might be controversial. When I am working out configuration details while installing a program I preform my commands as 'root' user. Over the years many distros have shifted installation procedure posted instructions to use an authorized user belonging to the administrative user group (typically a member of sudo.) As in this case, while sorting my issues, after several days of searching, reading, trail changes, etc. my frustration level can be a little too high. So, to illuminate one persistent frustration "jab", years ago I began "being careful" while using 'root' user to make changes. And finally, yes, in some cases using 'root' is a bad idea but, I am very careful with my use of 'root'. And, yes, I have had my share of bad experiences with this issue.

READERS BE WARNED!!! The use of 'root' user can seriously damage your system. <------ This warning has been added elsewhere.

The use of 'root' can easily bork your system and force a complete rebuild from bare metal. I can confirm this.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Interesting. I'm not a linux expert.

If I understand correctly, you are saying a user belonging to the 'admin' group does not need to use 'sudo' to use 'systemctl' commands on a root service?

What happens if a root service and user domain service have the same name?
Fldngbob

Post by Fldngbob »

I am not a Linux expert either. I am simply making a warning statement Linux users are use to seeing/hearing. Be careful with the use of 'root'.

Now, with the exception of minor grammatical edits I consider this matter closed.

Thanks.