a dumped finished work unit that hasn't been uploaded

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

whocrazy

a dumped finished work unit that hasn't been uploaded

Post by whocrazy »

Hi.
Got an unusual problem.
A work unit finished, but something went wrong with fah-core after the wuresults_01.dat file was saved, and the program shut down with an error, and the file was not uploaded, but the record of it was deleted from client.db
Is there any way to manually add the work unit back in to the database, so that the finished work unit can be uploaded?
I remember quite a few years ago when a different file format was being used for the database and there was a program that was made that could manually add work units back in, or fix the database if it had become corrupted.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: a dumped finished work unit that hasn't been uploaded

Post by Joe_H »

Basically there is no possibility of getting the WU to restart if part of the record is gone. There is a known window of time where an error in processing after reaching 100% can result in loss of the WU. At a slightly different time a failure causes a restart at the last checkpoint.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
whocrazy

Post by whocrazy »

Hmm. There was nothing wrong with the WU, it was fully intact, I think there should be a way to upload it regardless.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

If th record of the WU is gone from the client database, it is not "fully intact". On download a WU is checked for a valid signature, and entered into the queue. It is not going to be possible to crate that.

Now one possibility I have thought of is that the completed WU did get uploaded, but the client was not able to run the cleanup and remove the files left in the directory. There have been examples of that in the past, usually caused by file ownership issues, or that being changed by anti-malware scans, or the files being held open by another process than FAHClient.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3