Not getting bonuses

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Peter_Hucker

Re: Not getting bonuses

Post by Peter_Hucker »

What an odd thing to do. I can understand that sort of behaviour for monetary gain, but you would get nothing by damaging my bonus. Fighting over credits is absurd. Or is it the extra dollar per year you'd get from the coins?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

People do odd things out of being over-competitive, spite, perceived insult, and more reasons than I want to think of. We have seen this in connection with folding even before cryptocurrency was involved. When some of the coins were actually attracting some buyers and worth more than they are now, cheating to get more points by various means was detected and code added to block various cheats.

Long before cryptocurrency was an award from some sites/teams this was just for points and still people did various things to cheat and violate the terms of use for the folding app. In the past some users and teams did have their points voided completely, that may still happen if someone is detected doing the same now.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

There was a big scam over on LHC in Boinc, and LHC has been banned from Gridcoin as they refused to do anything about it. You could download 8 core tasks, then in a local configuration setting, get them to run on 1 core, but the server counted it as 8 cores and gave you x hours times 8 cores worth of points, but you were only using 1 core, so you could get 8 times the points for the same CPU time. LHC have a weird points system which credits you for time rather than work achieved.
NATHAN_CROKE

Post by NATHAN_CROKE »

Hi all, hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I'm having the same issue of not getting QRB, and just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I've had a machine running 24/7 on CPU only for a bit over a week, and completed 26 WU's, but still not getting QRB. Passkey is there, and stats show up on F@H and EOC (same username as here).

I had a couple of stumbles at the start, but it's been running stable for a week and completed over 20 WU's with no issues. I'm using a Ryzen 5 5600G, and initially I was running CPU and GPU, but the thermals were out of control (SFF archive server with minimal cooling), so I removed the GPU slot.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

N.B. CPU stock settings, XMP enabled and GPU @ 2400Mhz.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

There are two requirements for getting the QRB - completing 10 WUs and returning them within the Timeout, and maintaining an 80% or better return rate of downloaded WUs within that deadline. You have met the first requirement, but checking your bonus status shows you are at less than 80%. You can check your bonus status here - https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus, that currently shows that 26 WUs were finished and 11 expired before the deadline for a 70% return rate.

The FAQ for this is here - https://foldingathome.org/faqs/points/b ... r-the-qrb/. They did change the definition to be for WUs returned within the Timeout within the last couple years. That was due to the actions of some problematic WU downloaders.
NATHAN_CROKE

Post by NATHAN_CROKE »

Thanks very much Joe.

Not sure how I had so many failures (the machine only did a full tank twice) but I'll keep an eye on it!

Cheers.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

The client keeps the last 16 logs by default, you might find more info in them. Could be WUs dumped after an error, or some not returned by the timeout. It would also include any GPU WUs not completed and dumped when you removed the GPU slot

As for moving the GPU slot, the v7 client will re-add that by default at startup. You can turn that off by setting the option "gpu" to "false".
Last edited by Joe_H on Sun May 21, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

You mean option “gpu” false
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Or as an alternative, just set both slots to "pause-on-start" = "true"

That way nothing folds until you want it to, and you can alternate between CPU and GPU folding if you want.

From experience with my Ryzen 2400G, you can fold both CPU and GPU at the same time without thermals being much of an issue. If you OC the GPU and fold and both thermals rise quickly. But the iGPU alone can be overclocked and run just fine once you find the right OC settings.

With the newer and more powerful 5600G you should get decent points and efficiency. They aren't powerhouses but you hardly know they are folding when in use.
Fold them if you get them!
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

calxalot wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:42 pm You mean option “gpu” false
^*(*&^%$^ autocorrect. It always corrects lower case "gpu" to "cpu", catch it most of the time. Does leave uppercase GPU alone.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
NATHAN_CROKE

Post by NATHAN_CROKE »

Thanks for the tips Joe and Bob.

Sorry it took a bit to get back, but work's been full on.

I did actually go back through the logs and found that there were WU's crashing part way through ("unknown error" unfortunately), and after a few tries, it was returning them as failed. Still haven't worked out why, but it didn't go as far as actually crashing Windows or FAH Control. Only thing I can think of is that it might be memory errors, but that's way too much of a tangent for this thread!

Might try disabling XMP for a few days and see if it helps.

Cheers.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Nathan,

I went though a bit of instability with my iGPU for a short period. Generally once it would crash a project, it would crash several of them. Though I never nailed it down to one specific thing for sure, a combination of a Windows update and a driver change finally brought back stability again. AMD had had some driver issues here and there, and combined with Windows updates some combinations didn't seem to play well with folding.

Once I realized that a single crash would provoke others, I would set the client to finish after a work unit started. That way if it did crash, I at least had a chance to reboot, which in most cases would provide stability again for the most part. I proceeded in that fashion after updates and driver changes until I regained confidence that the system was overall stable.

I ran a number of benchmarks, did memory tests, etc and never found anything. I was also experiencing the failures in the same way as you, no client or Windows crashes.
Fold them if you get them!
NATHAN_CROKE

Post by NATHAN_CROKE »

Hey Bob.

Probably going a bit too deep for this thread again, but I think I may have tracked it down.

Updated chipset driver (B550) to no avail and had all clock and voltages set to auto in BIOS. I left HW Monitor running overnight while folding, and noticed that my CPU was spiking to 7.4GHz! Surely that's a world record with a Noctua L9a! I manually set clock to 4.2, and undervolted as much as I could, and it's been rock solid ever since. Cinebench has nothing on this for a stress test!

Cheers.