Configuration options for Mac

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Justakiwi

Configuration options for Mac

Post by Justakiwi »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this - I am new to F&H and this is my first post - so feel free to move to another more appropriate forum if necessary.

I have just installed on a 2021 24" M1 iMac - base 7 core model. It is crunching OK and I have not had any issues as yet, but there does not seem to be any way to configure how many processors I want to use/percentage of processor time (I am used to running BOINC, which is quite different). I have followed the instructions but there is no "slots" tab under configuration. The only tab there is the Client Connection tab - none of the others in the instruction graphics are there. So I assume these are unavailable for the Mac version?

If someone could help me configure the client I would appreciate it - I would prefer to set a limit of (say) 70% of processor cores and processor time if at all possible. Running them all bumps the temperature up a bit higher than I would like. This model only has the one fan.

Thanks in advance.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Configuration options for Mac

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

You should see the various tabs in FAHControl if it has established its network connection to the FAHClient process running in the background. What you describe sounds like the connection is not active, I have seen the same on my Mac in the past. There have been some reports of issues with the 7.6.21 client on newer versions of the macOS, one of the developers has posted some fixes. That is here in this topic - viewtopic.php?p=353629#p353629

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jonault

Post by jonault »

I installed the v7 client on an M1 Mac yesterday & had to follow the steps in the thread Joe_H linked to, specifically the terminal commands in this post by calxalot. His post mentions OS versions 10 & 11 but those commands still work on Ventura as of 13.2.1.

You can specify the number of CPU threads that are used but I don't think there's any way to set a limit on how much CPU time those threads use when they're running. IIRC you want to stick to non-prime numbers, so either 4, 6, or 8 threads. Since the base model iMac only has 4 performance CPU cores, I'd go with 4. On my Mac Studio, when I exceeded the number of performance cores (8) folding slowed way down.

The number of GPU cores doesn't matter as there's no GPU folding on the Mac.

If you're concerned about CPU temps I'd install some kind of custom fan control. I use the one built into iStat Menus since I already had it installed; Macs Fan Control is another option.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

The Terminal commands are needed on macOS 11 and later, intel or apple silicon.

The old install script assumed the major os version was always 10.
It was fixed but there was never another v7 release.