Impact to Bonus Qualification

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

batoba

Impact to Bonus Qualification

Post by batoba »

Hi, I updated AMD drivers today and some WU failed to complete when starting. Can I know the impact it had on my stats? I only completed 5 WU, so I'm worried it ruined my stats. I'm also aware that it's really bad for the researchers when the WU is dumped like that, right? Fortunately, everything is working right now. My username is pwlkfnrwiro4.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Impact to Bonus Qualification

Post by BobWilliams757 »

You can check your bonus status at the link below:

https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus

Unfortunately in this case since you haven't finished many work units, you will receive no bonus points. But if you simply do 9 more work units without issue, your bonus status will be restored. From my understanding this system was put in place to prevent people from "cherry picking" and only doing work units that paid the best points, but maybe someone else knows the history of the why better than I understand.

I had the same thing happen when I updated to the newest, latest and greatest AMD drivers for most. On my otherwise rock solid but slow system I had twice where it caused crashes and repeating loops of dumping work units. Thankfully it was only about 8 or 10 total. Until then my completion rate was something like 99.9%, with only a couple of work units actually times out by any fault of my own (including power loss to the home), and most created by assignment issues, and a few that were unstable on a lot of systems in the COVID peak days.

Don't let it get you down. Keep folding and your bonus points will return.
Fold them if you get them!
batoba

Post by batoba »

Yeah, I'm almost there :)
System is stable now. Thanks for the kind reply, I didn't know I could check my bonus situation.
batoba

Post by batoba »

BobWilliams757 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:58 am You can check your bonus status at the link below:

Unfortunately in this case since you haven't finished many work units, you will receive no bonus points. But if you simply do 9 more work units without issue, your bonus status will be restored. From my understanding this system was put in place to prevent people from "cherry picking" and only doing work units that paid the best points, but maybe someone else knows the history of the why better than I understand.

I had the same thing happen when I updated to the newest, latest and greatest AMD drivers for most. On my otherwise rock solid but slow system I had twice where it caused crashes and repeating loops of dumping work units. Thankfully it was only about 8 or 10 total. Until then my completion rate was something like 99.9%, with only a couple of work units actually times out by any fault of my own (including power loss to the home), and most created by assignment issues, and a few that were unstable on a lot of systems in the COVID peak days.

In my case, I would have to complete 60 WU to start getting the bonus, right?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

batoba wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:53 pm In my case, I would have to complete 60 WU to start getting the bonus, right?
Yes, in total you would have to 60 WUs, 40 more than you have done so far. Then the completion rate will be back to 80% and WUs after that will get the bonus.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

batoba wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:53 pm
BobWilliams757 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:58 am You can check your bonus status at the link below:

In my case, I would have to complete 60 WU to start getting the bonus, right?
Well ummm.... math r hard after a long day. :oops:

I'm glad I could at least provide the link so you could do the simple math correctly! :lol:

There are plenty of links within F@H resources to check various things. I've bookmarked a bunch to make them quicker to find when I'm in a hurry.

Follow up question on the driver topic though.... Were you doing anything other than folding when your system crashed? In my case my wife was logged on to another user account and folding was on my account in the background. I'm just trying to see what the drivers caused to crash first... the folding or the video editing my wife was doing at the time.
Fold them if you get them!
batoba

Post by batoba »

BobWilliams757 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:18 am Well ummm.... math r hard after a long day. :oops:

I'm glad I could at least provide the link so you could do the simple math correctly! :lol:

There are plenty of links within F@H resources to check various things. I've bookmarked a bunch to make them quicker to find when I'm in a hurry.

Follow up question on the driver topic though.... Were you doing anything other than folding when your system crashed? In my case my wife was logged on to another user account and folding was on my account in the background. I'm just trying to see what the drivers caused to crash first... the folding or the video editing my wife was doing at the time.
haha, no worries. I didn't understand how it worked at first, then I realized it was 80% of all WU. Newcomers must be very aware of that, it's much harder to get to 80% in my case.

About the driver, these things are just too unpredictable. Systems are constantly being updated in parallel and it's almost impossible to never run into problems, unless you never update anything, I guess. Just received a Windows update and the system is weird. Folding web client and the advanced control won't start. The background core process is running, and the log is being updated. AMD software crashed, but the GPU is working. I think I should reconsider running folding in this system :(

Have a great day!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

For a system you are folding on it would be a good idea to turn off autoupdates of drivers and periodically do those manually after finishing a WU. MS distributes video drivers only, does not include the support packages for OpenCL and CUDA needed for GPU folding.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
batoba

Post by batoba »

Joe_H wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:33 pm For a system you are folding on it would be a good idea to turn off autoupdates of drivers and periodically do those manually after finishing a WU. MS distributes video drivers only, does not include the support packages for OpenCL and CUDA needed for GPU folding.
Yeah, just did that. Stable now.