Add the possibility to embed into other applications?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

peq42

Add the possibility to embed into other applications?

Post by peq42 »

Would it be possible to, in the future, release an embed version of FaH(pre-compiled for specific platforms, to keep reliability) to add to applications?

For example: There are MANY afk clicker games, and those usually are left running for HOURS by its players. If the creator of the game wanted, they could add in an embed FaH into their game, and make it run in the background(maybe with options to, for example, limit GPU usage to a small percentage and CPU to 1 or 2 cores).

This could be interesting for a few reasons:
1) MANY more people would be running FaH
2) Would work as a great advertisement for the app/game and for FaH
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Add the possibility to embed into other applications?

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Though I'm all for trying to involve more people in folding overall I don't see this as much of a possibility.

Being that folding is fairly hardware intensive and take some understanding as far as how to not hurt the science by dropping work units and such I can't see the average small game user wanting it bundled with any other application or software.

Many people simply won't donate resources even if small. There might be possibilities to spread awareness and possibly to a user base if information was bundled, but I suspect only a handful of people would contribute.
Last edited by BobWilliams757 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fold them if you get them!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Add the possibility to embed into other applications?

Post by Joe_H »

This is highly unlikely. There is so much potential for people doing this embedding in violation of both the terms of use and F@h best use policies. Those members of the consortium who have been with it for a while are aware of early history where some users included the client within installers for other software, about 15 years ago the client was in danger of being considered malware because of this. One team did widespread installations of the client on public and demonstrator systems, they were identified and their points zeroed out.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3