momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Too doggone hot

Post by momus_98 »

I built my rig to crunch hard numbers.

However, it is July in Texas an it is too doggone hot to run the client. Can I do something else? Or do I just wait until it cools down a bit?

(I'm a home user, not a data center). Ideas?
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
bikeaddict

Re: Too doggone hot

Post by bikeaddict »

My dedicated machines are in the basement where I don't care how much heat or noise they give off. Just sitting on a folding table with ethernet plugged into a small switch with a wi-fi extender that connects to my home network.

But I idle them voluntarily for a few hours when my electric company has an event to conserve power on hotter days, just to be nice and help reduce the risk of a rolling brownout/blackout in my neighborhood. There was a storm a couple weeks ago that took out my power for 2.5 hours on a semi-hot evening and it was pretty unpleasant without even a fan to stay cool.
kiore

Post by kiore »

Take a little time off strip down your gear, get the dust out, redo thermal paste, fix that cable management you've been meaning to do after the last hardware change. Restart on low power mode... stuff like this.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
kwthom

Post by kwthom »

momus_98 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:09 pm However, it is July in Texas an it is too doggone hot to run the client. Can I do something else? Or do I just wait until it cools down a bit?
Same here in southern Arizona.

A few CPU units per month during the hot times of year, just to continue my efforts in crunching.

My GPU just got a unit of effort last night that I'll finish here this morning. As it gets cooler I'll do a bit more crunching to keep this part of the house warm.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

One of the plus sides to having a slow iGPU. When it's hot you don't care, because it still doesn't draw much power or make much heat. The downside is that it never will produce much in terms of PPD, but if they could make this newer tech more efficient in power use ranges and being able to adjust them for power max, it could be a decent idea.

I've decided against any major power cards for both noise and heat. For now I'm going to stay efficient and able to power limit on the main PC, and then maybe grab a power card that makes noise for down the road in another room where I don't care about the heat or noise.
Fold them if you get them!
Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

Post by Vester »

I built my rig to crunch hard numbers.
So did I, but I started with a rack from my previous mining rig and a liquid cooler.

To help, we need more information. What is too hot, the room or the computer components? Make and model of the case? How many case fans? CPU cooler? Does it run cooler with the side removed from the case? Did you lap the heatsink? High quality thermal compound? Are you using HWMonitor to check your component temperatures? Does the computer fail to run fully loaded (crash)?