Lack of cancer work units?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Lamberto Vitali

Lack of cancer work units?

Post by Lamberto Vitali »

I usually get about half cancer, half alzheimers, with a smattering of the others, but recently there's no cancer. Does this mean something? I have my settings on "any disease".
JimF

Re: Lack of cancer work units?

Post by JimF »

On my CPU work units on five machines, I am running one cancer and one Alzheimers at the moment.
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project/16983
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project/18210

Two others are for improving antibiotic therapies
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project/18417
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project/18422

The last one is for simulation-based computational protein design.
https://stats.foldingathome.org/project/16999

I don't think they are near to designing drugs for any of these, but for improving the understanding of the proteins involved.
I think that is where they make their greatest contribution.
Lamberto Vitali

Yes I'm seeing varied and interesting stuff, I was just wondering if the lack of cancer units meant they'd found something. I did make another post about an artificial virus they could inject which is in the human trial phase.
JimF

Post by JimF »

I was just wondering if the lack of cancer units meant they'd found something.
No, I don't think there is a magic bullet. There are a lot of different types of cancer, and treatments for it.

But I am very impressed with their science. It is the most advanced distributed computing project on the Internet I think. They are doing very innovative stuff. I am as happy to work on protein design or antibiotics as anything else. It is whatever their researchers think they can best do that works for me. They are in the best position to know.

Some people would only work on covid for example. I would not limit myself to that, or anything else. The advances keep coming fast and furious in this field. They are at the cutting edge of innovation.
Lamberto Vitali

Everything done here is useful, and it runs on almost every processor and graphics card I have. Quite rare to see biology on an AMD GPU. Everyone is obsessed with the overpriced Nvidia.

It would be nice if that virus could kill off all of them. About time medicine became a real science!
Mxyzptlk
Hardware configuration: Lots... Look at my website: www.mxyzptlk.us

Post by Mxyzptlk »

I run primarily set cancer as my default on all systems. I have seen some of them running other projects, but then the Cancer WU’s come back.
I fold..... look at my folding setups here: www.mxyzptlk.us
Lamberto Vitali

I found them, they seem to be on CPUs just now, perhaps the research has changed so it's not GPU compatible. At the time I didn't have the CPUs on folding so I saw no cancer. I am now getting Alzheimers on GPU and cancer on CPU.

No matter what I choose for my preference I get the same mix of projects. I know it's only a guide, but if there's cancer available and I select cancer, I should get that.
tvdsluis

Post by tvdsluis »

Lamberto Vitali wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:31 pm I found them, they seem to be on CPUs just now, perhaps the research has changed so it's not GPU compatible. At the time I didn't have the CPUs on folding so I saw no cancer. I am now getting Alzheimers on GPU and cancer on CPU.

No matter what I choose for my preference I get the same mix of projects. I know it's only a guide, but if there's cancer available and I select cancer, I should get that.
I agree.
It should be more strict.
No matter what my preference is, i always get 80% alzheimers for my gpu, both amd and nvidia.
Even when i know other causes are available, and i select that specific cause like cancer or parkinsons.
If cancer wu's are available for the GPU, it get's better but it seems to never get higher than 50%-75%, and never 100%.
The last covid moonshot, i selected covid as the preferred cause, i got just 1 covid wu, and back to alzheimers again.
Somehow alzheimers seem to have the highest priority. Maybe due to the much higer number of wu's available, no idea how the assignment of wu's work.
Same for cancer wu's on the cpu.
When i select cancer (i know it's a loose guide but still) i only get about 75% cancer wu's, and still 25% something else. It could be 100%.

Just my personal observation.
Mxyzptlk
Hardware configuration: Lots... Look at my website: www.mxyzptlk.us

Post by Mxyzptlk »

It’s a preference… not a rule.
I fold..... look at my folding setups here: www.mxyzptlk.us