RTX 2060 vs RTX 3050 Performance

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
bikeaddict

Re: RTX 2060 vs RTX 3050 Performance

Post by bikeaddict »

If you are interested in going a step-up to a 3060 Ti or even a 3070, register the GPU and keep an eye on what options the EVGA site shows you for step-up options for the first 90 days. They will let you ship your old card back and upgrade for the price difference between the models. But you have to pay return shipping. And they tend to push the expensive FTW3 Ultra models, which are clocked higher and may perform slightly better, but have pretty high prices.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

bikeaddict wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 pm If you are interested in going a step-up to a 3060 Ti or even a 3070, register the GPU and keep an eye on what options the EVGA site shows you for step-up options for the first 90 days. They will let you ship your old card back and upgrade for the price difference between the models. But you have to pay return shipping. And they tend to push the expensive FTW3 Ultra models, which are clocked higher and may perform slightly better, but have pretty high prices.
Good to know, thanks! I'm not a gamer or miner, and I've been out of folding for over ten years so I'm just getting up to speed with GPU matters.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

hrsetrdr wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:04 pm
aetch wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:34 pm It's entirely up to you how you run your kit but I personally try to discourage others from overclocking. The card runs hotter, it draws disproportionally more power, the fan spin faster and noisier.
Agreed. The novelty of higher clocks is long faded for me, stock is just fine, less heartaches. Back when posting & sharing benchmarks on MadOnion(Futuremark) was a 'thing', pushing my GeForce 2/3/4 series graphics cards was my 24/7 passion, until I started with f@h. ;)
It's entirely possible to overclock AND power cap your GPU.
That way, your GPU gets slowed down due to a power cap, but also get overclocked, without any penalty to power consumption.

On an RTX2000 series GPU, it usually results in either a +10% overclock, a -20% power cap, or both (-20% power cap, and 10% overclock, resulting in speeds roughly equivalent to stock speeds, but at 20% less power consumption.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

MeeLee wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:01 pm
hrsetrdr wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:04 pm
aetch wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:34 pm It's entirely up to you how you run your kit but I personally try to discourage others from overclocking. The card runs hotter, it draws disproportionally more power, the fan spin faster and noisier.
Agreed. The novelty of higher clocks is long faded for me, stock is just fine, less heartaches. Back when posting & sharing benchmarks on MadOnion(Futuremark) was a 'thing', pushing my GeForce 2/3/4 series graphics cards was my 24/7 passion, until I started with f@h. ;)
It's entirely possible to overclock AND power cap your GPU.
That way, your GPU gets slowed down due to a power cap, but also get overclocked, without any penalty to power consumption.

On an RTX2000 series GPU, it usually results in either a +10% overclock, a -20% power cap, or both (-20% power cap, and 10% overclock, resulting in speeds roughly equivalent to stock speeds, but at 20% less power consumption.
That all sounds like it's worth doing, I'll be studying up on these topics since my recent investment in GPU folding hardware.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
aetch

Post by aetch »

@MeeLee
By your own admission your systems are outside and they're unstable.
Push overclocking all you want but stop quoting me.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

aetch wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 am @MeeLee
By your own admission your systems are outside and they're unstable.
Push overclocking all you want but stop quoting me.
1- Me having my units outside, has nothing to do with the topic at hand
Besides, I currently run only 1 system like this, and it's been inside, online for months, without any adjustment done to it.
I no longer fold outside for probably 2 years now!
The instability was due to particulates outside, not overclocking.

2- It's not against forum rules to quote people. It is however, beneficial to the community, to pinpoint and correct errors or erroneous assumptions, which was in your post.
Besides, I didn't quote you, I quoted hrsetrdr
aetch

Post by aetch »

1. You having units outside does have a lot to do with it. It means you don't have to contend with heat and/or noise issues like the rest of us.

2. I ask you to NOT quote me because I actually completely disagree with what you are pushing and I want no part in it.
You are pushing people to lower the power limit of their cards, which is fair enough as this will both lower the temperature of the card and lower it's operating window.
The part I disagree with is then increasing the clock speed of the card (overclocking), you're pushing it to the edge, if not outside, of it's operating window. If you want to do that on your own system that's your choice. To push someone else to do it, especially someone who has likely never done it before, that is just a no-no.

3. You didn't quote me? Try reading your reply.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
MARSTG
Hardware configuration: B450 AORUS M w 3800X & WRAITH PRISM
16 GB DELTA RGB 3600 & WD SN 770 500GB
GTX 1070 GAMING X w LG OLED C1 55"
ECLIPSE P300A TG

Post by MARSTG »

Historically, the launch drivers are really optimized for gaming and nothing else. A few months down the road the drivers will offer more ppd as they mature and they also get optimized for computing as well.