Could we add a timed pause to the client?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

vonhoother

Could we add a timed pause to the client?

Post by vonhoother »

On Zoom conferences, I often get notified that my high CPU utilization is degrading the session. I pause my F@H client and that solves the problem. But then I forget to un-pause it, so hours or days go by with no work done. Could we add a function to pause the client for a few hours?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Could we add a timed pause to the client?

Post by Joe_H »

You can put in a request for such an enhancement, or add your comment to an existing request. The other option is to program your own function. The client does have an API for connecting with it, and commands can also be sent to the client by scripts. Perhaps the simplest would be to create a script that sends a pause command, waits whatever time period you want, and then sends a resume command. Scripts similar to this have been posted before.

A rough example would go something like this:

FAHClient --send-pause

(appropriate wait command for your OS)

FAHClient --send-unpause
exit

Further info on commands available for FAHClient at the command line can be found by using FAHClient --help. The API is described here - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-co ... Client-API

There will not be any further changes to the current version 7 client, they are currently working on a version 8 client that is being redone completely. Beta tests of that may get released later this year or early next year.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Joe_H wrote:You can put in a request for such an enhancement, or add your comment to an existing request. The other option is to program your own function. The client does have an API for connecting with it, and commands can also be sent to the client by scripts. Perhaps the simplest would be to create a script that sends a pause command, waits whatever time period you want, and then sends a resume command. Scripts similar to this have been posted before.

A rough example would go something like this:

FAHClient --send-pause

(appropriate wait command for your OS)

FAHClient --send-unpause
exit

Further info on commands available for FAHClient at the command line can be found by using FAHClient --help. The API is described here - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-co ... Client-API

There will not be any further changes to the current version 7 client, they are currently working on a version 8 client that is being redone completely. Beta tests of that may get released later this year or early next year.
You can actually build the zoom program into a .bat file,
For Windows, just create a .bat file, and edit it with notepad.

Inside the .bat file, you have the pause request (like above), then start the zoom.exe file, by calling on the exact location of the file (eg: C:\users\user1\program files\zoom\zoom.exe ; or whereever else the file is located), and then the unpause command.
that way, as soon as you close the Zoom program, the bat file will go to the next line, which is to unpause FAH, and you don't have to deal with any timer.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

The problem will arise if you have many such programs which you want to pause FAH while running, as there is no coordination between unpause and pause commands, but if only Zoom is the issue, then the above is a great and simple solution.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950