question about graphics card speed

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Lamberto Vitali

question about graphics card speed

Post by Lamberto Vitali »

i have RX 560 (baffin) but fah says it is rx460 polaris
nevermind, is not much difference with speed
but could this be why have task finishing slightly late?

what happens if late? i have seen that task is sent to new person - butr if i finish in 5 minutes or maybe an hour, will you cancel work to other person, other wise they waste there time and could do other work unit
JimboPalmer

Re: question about graphics card speed

Post by JimboPalmer »

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -560.c2940

Your card meets the minimum specs to fold (64 bit floating point math and OpenCL 1.2 or greater)
If it is running 24/7 on full, it really should be completing Work Units. If you post the first 100 lines of the log, where it shows the configuration, we will have better guesses.

viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=61&t=26036
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

F@h identifies graphics cards by PCI ID numbers. The RX 560 is a relabeled RX 460 card using the same GPU chip and essentially the same memory and clock speeds. There is one variant that has more shaders enabled, but that is the only difference between the RX 560 and RX 460. It will make no difference when being used for folding.

The cards are a 6 year old design, and were mid-range cards at the time. They do have a small advantage over some of the other mid-range cards from AMD released in that time period being based on 4th generation GCN GPU chips. Other cards were based on older generation chips. How fast they fold can depend on which driver is being used, a recent release has poor OpenCL performance. It is also possible the project assigned should be restricted from using AMD cards, some perform poorly on them. There also needs to be enough CPU processing available to handle the data preparation and transfer to and from the GPU.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Lamberto Vitali

it was run 3/4 of time as i turn it off for games, doing that 1 unit finishe exactlyon time give or take 5 mins, others finish about half to 3/4 of time allowed - i can leave it on all time as game runs on other card so should be ok

6 yr old?! i buy it 3 years ago!

so what about my other questions about resends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Lamberto Vitali wrote:6 yr old?! i buy it 3 years ago!
The RX 460 was released by AMD in August 2016, so 5 1/2 years ago. The chips the RX 460 and the relabeled 560 use were released in June of that year. So when you bought it the card design was already a couple years old.
so what about my other questions about resends
The people who get WUs that are resent copies of a WU over its timeout get to complete them and get full credit for the return. The researchers occasionally will use the extra WUs for checking that they are getting consistent results. The servers do not have provisions for pulling back an assignment.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Lamberto Vitali

i wrong i check and i buy 4 years ago, but 4 year old card is not dinosaur!

ok i see that is a good thing i thought they being wasted but if they can use for consistansy check then there is a point to it

i try to make them run on time but if not then still some use
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Lamberto Vitali wrote:i wrong i check and i buy 4 years ago, but 4 year old card is not dinosaur!

ok i see that is a good thing i thought they being wasted but if they can use for consistansy check then there is a point to it

i try to make them run on time but if not then still some use
You can set up a schedule to run FAH when you're not gaming, and if you know you'll play games at eg: 5PM, and a WU will run for 4 hours, set your schedule to stop downloading WUs after 1 PM. 1:30 or 2PM if you are flexible.
Lamberto Vitali

games not at speciffic time,also tasks run for half a day or a hole day,i just pause when playing, seem to get tasks that can only be done if pc on 24/7
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

In the first reply to you i let you know that to give better help, we need to see the first 100 lines of your log that shows your PC's configuration. I linked a tutorial on how to post a log for Windows, Linux, and MacOS.

If you really want more help, post a log.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Lamberto Vitali wrote:games not at speciffic time,also tasks run for half a day or a hole day,i just pause when playing, seem to get tasks that can only be done if pc on 24/7
Yeah, the pauses make that you probably barely make or don't make the deadline.
The current WUs are aimed at more modern GPUs, meaning modern GPUs can do the job in an hour or two.
Not only do they run more than double the frequency, they also quite often have 5-10x more cores.
Lamberto Vitali

MeeLee wrote:
Lamberto Vitali wrote:games not at speciffic time,also tasks run for half a day or a hole day,i just pause when playing, seem to get tasks that can only be done if pc on 24/7
Yeah, the pauses make that you probably barely make or don't make the deadline.
The current WUs are aimed at more modern GPUs, meaning modern GPUs can do the job in an hour or two.
Not only do they run more than double the frequency, they also quite often have 5-10x more cores.
thanks, i would like modern gpu for games, but they are 1500 euros! i stick to 100 euros older cards