Problems with slow upload and many WU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Skajaquada
Hardware configuration: Frankenfolder System: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra, Ryzen 5 3600x, 32GB G.Skill 3600 Ram, 2x Nvidia RTX2080Ti, system custom watercooled.

Primo Victoria: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Radeon RX6800xt, system custom watercooled

Wifeys Machine: MSI X570 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, system custom watercooled

Problems with slow upload and many WU

Post by Skajaquada »

I could not find a topic to this problem and maybe this will not affect many folder.
But i have several gpu folding on multiple clients and the upload of the work units is so slow, that they pile up and block the upload totally.
My opload bandwith has 40 mbit and is never at full capacity, but the work units need more then 15 minutes to load. And the more there are, the slower the upload.
In the end the upload of all work units fail and i have to dump them all. :roll:

Is there an option to configure the client to start uploading one unit after another and not all at the same time?
This would save most of the work instead of throwing them all away.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Problems with slow upload and many WU

Post by toTOW »

Did you measure your upload speed to the FAH servers ? Most OSes have tools to show instantaneous speeds while uploading the WU ...

What errors do you get for failed uploads ?

I usually upload at ~4 Mbps to FAH servers (for a maximum upload speed of ~5 Mbps for my VDSL line) and even if it takes a few minutes to upload, there's always plenty of time before anything timeouts ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Skajaquada
Hardware configuration: Frankenfolder System: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra, Ryzen 5 3600x, 32GB G.Skill 3600 Ram, 2x Nvidia RTX2080Ti, system custom watercooled.

Primo Victoria: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro, Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Radeon RX6800xt, system custom watercooled

Wifeys Machine: MSI X570 Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB G.Skill Trident 3600 Ram, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, system custom watercooled

Re: Problems with slow upload and many WU

Post by Skajaquada »

The upload speed is between 500kbit and 2 MBit on all work units. It makes no difference if the machine is connected by LAN or WLAN.
Download of a 50 MB WU in 25 seconds, the fastest upload take about 3 Minutes. Normally 6-10 Minutes.
This is no Problem with workunits that lasts 2 hours. But if they are done in 30 minutes, and there are two or three to upload simultaneously, the upload gets slower and slower.
And at least the uploads need too much time and fail with a connection error.

I think this is only a problem on a rig with four rtx3090 who are working faster then they can upload their units.
Maybe i just have to slow down a bit :lol: