Unable to get the FAH client to access home server

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Homecomp
Hardware configuration: Self build. Corsair Cabinet with H80i GT water cooler. - Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 cores)
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi, recenlty FAH has been working fine one all 3 of my Pc's. Two days ago one Pc had to be rebooted and afterwards FAH is unable to connect to the folding@home client.
I have down loaded the latest 7.6.21 version, and update Firexfox to the latest version on all 3 Pc's. Yet this one Pc will not connect.
I have on my main Pc the Advance Control Panel so as Ican monitor all Pc's from my main Pc. this shows this one Pc as Connecting...but it never does
I had the IP address as 192.168.0.12:36330.
I checked the IP address on the unwilling Pc and found it had changed to 192.168.0.123
So I chnaged the IP address in the Advanced Control Panel.
Still not connecting.
On the web page Local Folding@home web control it gives some suggestions
Is Folding@Home installed?.......yes it is.
Is Folding@Home running?........Cannot click it so it suggests to me it is running. Putting the curser on the FAH icon in the Task bar bottom right hand side, it says Folding Active.
Try reloading this page.......done many times still no connection
Try Connecting Directly....... It comes back Problem loading Page - Unable to Connect....Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:7396.
I noticed the port number had change from 36330 to 7396.
So I altered the Port number in Firefox address bar from 127.0.0.1:7396 to 127.0.0.1:36330
I still get Unable to Connect.

Can any help me please
Last edited by Homecomp on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aetch

Re: Homecomp

Post by aetch »

Okay, I'll see if I can help at all.
Ports
I believe port 7396 is for communication between the web server and the web client. I don't use it so I just disable the web server in the client.
Port 36330 is for the advanced control panel. I'd suggest taking a look at your firewall rules. If you're running Windows it's possible Windows has automatically created a new inbound rule and blocked your client.
All internet security products should have an exceptions/exclusions list which informs that product which files/folders to ignore. Make sure you have added the FAHclient work folders to that list (I add the program files folder to the list as well).

Advanced control panel - in the "Address" box enter the hostname of the PCs you want to connect to. As you found the the IP Address is prone to changing. Using the hostname is a bit more resilient as your router should always resolve the name to the current IP address.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
Homecomp
Hardware configuration: Self build. Corsair Cabinet with H80i GT water cooler. - Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 cores)
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi aetch,
On my other two Pc's I can right click the icon in the bottom right hand corner and get the menu up, on this Pc is says folding active, but no right click menu,
So I am unable to get into the client to disable that port number
I am running windows 10 and looking at the inbound firewall I have 4 fahclient item all with the same location on the Pc but in the protocol They are listed as UDP, TCP, TCP, UDP.
all 4 have a green tick again them
On the outbound I cannot find any listing for FAH?
aetch

Re: Unable to get the FAH client to access home server

Post by aetch »

I was writing out a whole spiel then it dawned on me, you installed 7.6.21, and then the forums went weird.

Did you install 7.6.21 as part of trying to resolve your connection issues?
The working folder and config files for 7.6.21 are located in a different location to previous versions of FAHClient.

I'm going to suggest the following:-
1). uninstall the FAHClient.
2). Go to folder %appdata%\FAHClient (This is folder "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient") and copy "config.xml". FAHClient prior to 7.6.21 used this location.
3). Go to folder %allusersprofile%\FAHClient (This is folder "C:\ProgramData\FAHClient") and paste in the above file. This is the new location 7.6.21 uses.
4). Install the FAHClient.

Note:- Folders AppData and ProgramData are hidden folders. You may need to fiddle with your folder options to see them.

ImageImage
Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi aetch, sorry its taken so long to reply. I followed the suggestion you made and it seemed to work for a while. Boy did I have problems finding the FAHClient, not where you said it was, I found in Program Files (x86)?
any way after uninstalling and reinstalling it worked, but my FAHControl did not pick it up? Then My UPS battery died and I had to order a new one. Came today after restarting all 3 PCs my 2nd & 3rd PCs both decided not to connect at all, so I tried your method and neither worked, So I deleted FAH and the data on both PCs. Whilst I was doing that I noticed that my user file was incorrectly named, so spent most of the day sorting that out. I have now reinstalled FAH on both machines, I have copies of the installation data needed to connect back up as me and not anonymously.
My problem is now I have forgotten how to connect the two PCs up so as my main Pc can read what they are doing.. I know I have to set the FAHControl up under Configure/Remote Access, but for the life of me I cannot remember what needs to be where. I know its in the bottom two areas of remote Access do I leave the 127.0.0.1 and just add 192.168.0.0/24, cos I tried that and it does not work even after rebooting my main pc.
My main Pc Has Local then my two other PCs listing their IP addresses correctly with the correct port address as well i.e. 192.168.0.32:36330.
If there is an article you can point me towards or even your own words of wisdom , I would be eternally grateful.
Steve
aetch

Post by aetch »

please google "Windows show hidden folders"

The files located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient" are just the program files, they are not the configuration files.

ImageImage
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There's a shortcut : Start menu> Folding@Home > Data Directory.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi aetch and toTow, thanks for all the info.
To cut a very long story short I have had problems with these two PCs and they have been reset and FAH deleted on both, Incl all the data.
Reinstalled FAH and connected up with my passkey etc. Sorted out the Advanced control connections and he presto all seem to be working Aok.
Even the master control on my main PC can see them so all is good in the hood..... thanks