FAH Desktop App Source Code

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ph1

FAH Desktop App Source Code

Post by ph1 »

Hello, I wanted to see if it would it be possible for the FAH team to open source the source code to the FAH desktop app as this would be helpful to contributing pull requests to improve the desktop app's functionality; it would be awesome to have such an opportunity to contribute to such a valuable project for the community, and further confirmed it doesn't appear this code has yet been open sourced through the various FAH GitHub repos / other public repos. Please let me know if any questions on the above, happy to discuss!

Thanks,
P
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FAH Desktop App Source Code

Post by Joe_H »

I will give the same answers as has been posted here before by myself and others.

There is an existing plan to make the software open source, it was interrupted by the need to move the single developer to supporting the server code when COVID came along. So far several components of the F@h app are open source and available on GitHub.

They did put out a call for developers around mid-2020. That is handled through the F@h discord.

A second developer was hired several months ago to work on the client codebase and get it ready for a new version. Version 8 maybe ready for testing later this year, have not seen an exact timeframe posted yet.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

FAHControl is open source

https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control

If you want to make pull requests, you may have better luck contributing to the python 3 fork

https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

This has already been answered recently : Any progress in opening the source?

And I don't think there will be any new version based on v7 ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.