Any way to only receive only Core21 workunits?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TurboM.

Any way to only receive only Core21 workunits?

Post by TurboM. »

I've noticed recently that my folding rig that uses some older hardware (important part here being GPU, GTX 470) hasn't been able to run GPU tasks. Based off some other posts I've seen here, it seems like Core22 is dropping support for Fermi cards. Is there any way I can only receive workunits that use Core21 or earlier? Or is this not possible?

It's probably also worth asking: Are there are any workunits left that even use Core21? I haven't received a single one that has run on the GPU in my machine in around a month, so I'd imagine all the Core21 workunits have been retired.
vivatobst
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i5-2320, 2*AMD Sapphire R9 380 Nitro

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AMD Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

Re: Any way to only receive only Core21 workunits?

Post by vivatobst »

https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats
according to this there are no more core21 units anymore
Ryzen 7 2700X, AMD Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+
Intel Core i5-2320, 2*AMD Sapphire R9 380
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The F@h group has not made any official announcement, but the last projects that used Core_21 were running about the same time as the beginning of the COVID response last year. Conceivably one of the researchers who was running some of those projects might need to do additional simulations for their research, and the usual preference would be to run them using the same folding core. But I have not heard of any needing to do so. With the gap in time the practical knowledge on how to set up a project for Core_21 may also have become lost, so they my have moved onto using Core_22 for that reason.

From my prior experience with F@h I don't have any expectations that there will be any more projects and WUs for Core_21.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

nVidia dropped support of Fermi a few years ago and is currently dropping support of Kepler ... so you should consider that these GPUs are also near their end of life on FAH ...

Sooner or later, Fermi GPUs will switch to species 0 on FAH (which means unsupported) like what happened to Tesla GPUs before ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.