those very large WU's

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

folding44fun

those very large WU's

Post by folding44fun »

WU 18418 takes approx. 1,75 days to finish on my M1 iMac while the deadline for them is 4,20 days (100 hours I guess).
Since I'm not folding 24/7 chances are small that it will finish on time.
I've stopped the WU & I guess I will just have to wait out the 4 days before starting F@H up again.
Is there a way that I will not get these again?
Or, alternatively, can the deadline be prolonged?
I've seen smaller WU's that have a 5 days deadline & I seem to remember that in the past deadlines used to be 10 days for WU's.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: those very large WU's

Post by Joe_H »

For future WUs to avoid this group of long projects, try setting your folding client to use just 4 cores. The last time I checked these projects were limited to stymies requesting for more than 4 CPU threads.

As a side effect you might see slightly better throughput, or no decrease at all. Using 4 CPU threads on the M1 will use just the high power cores, the low power cores can cause slight delays as processing is synchronized between the processing threads.

As a personal note, at some point they may be able to more optimally assign WUs, the greater than 4 thread limit means I no longer get them on my system with an i7-7700K set to only 4 threads. When I got them during beta testing the i7 went through the WU fine in just over 24 hours and gave a good PPD.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
psaam0001

Re: those very large WU's

Post by psaam0001 »

Just an observation: I would also suggest to those who are purchasing/upgrading systems with the 12th gen Core series CPU's from Intel, that you employ a strategy of maxing the number of cores so that you are only using the "P (for performance) cores" for FAH. That information is specific to the CPU you will be upgrading to. As I am not able to read the minds of the FAH development team, to determine if there will be any way that they will be able to use the "E (for ecology sparing) cores" efficiently.

Paul