Gigabyte Power Supply Recall Information

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
psaam0001

Gigabyte Power Supply Recall Information

Post by psaam0001 »

Please read the information at the following link, if you have recently purchased a Gigabyte power supply (whether by itself or as part of a pre-built custom PC). As there is a recall that applies to specific models in the 750 to 850 watt range:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1930

I'll be checking mine ASAP, as NewEgg wants to help me replace it if I've got one of them.

Paul

UPDATE: My power supply is on the list.... :(
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Re: Gigabyte Power Supply Recall Information

Post by Neil-B »

Great Post - sharing these notices is a really good idea :)

Tough break though on yours - but good news that they have issued a recall and newegg want to help !! ... Hope it gets sorted quickly
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Note that the press release is inaccurate - it's not an issue that only appears in long-running synthetic tests.
OPP is broken, which means a couple of seconds of over-power will destroy the PSU and potentially destroy other components in your PC.
If you have one of these models, even outside the serial number range listed, you shouldn't use it as this is a design flaw - at least until independent third parties can certify that the problem has been fixed. (Self-certification from Gigabyte e.g. a CE mark doesn't count here - nobody checks that.)
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
aetch

Post by aetch »

I've been watching "Certain Media Outlets" develop this story over the last few weeks.
This morning's speedrun was something spectacular. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM

For anyone who does have one of these turds, I hope you get a good outcome.
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

I have contacted NewEgg (where I bought it, and whom contacted me based on their records of selling it to me) to get a replacement.

But Gigabyte products will be avoided in the future. When I need a PSU, I'm going straight to Corsair or EVGA.

If I need a motherboard or GPU, first choices will be from either MSI or ASUS.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

gunnarre wrote:Note that the press release is inaccurate - it's not an issue that only appears in long-running synthetic tests.
OPP is broken, which means a couple of seconds of over-power will destroy the PSU and potentially destroy other components in your PC.
If you have one of these models, even outside the serial number range listed, you shouldn't use it as this is a design flaw - at least until independent third parties can certify that the problem has been fixed. (Self-certification from Gigabyte e.g. a CE mark doesn't count here - nobody checks that.)
I had seen something on a YouTube video that was related to this PSU, before I got the E-mail from NewEgg. Though to be honest with you, I hoped I was one of the lucky ones in that mine was not in the recalled batch, as I've been dealing with other non-FAH related real life headaches as of late (my dad's health).

Perhaps I need to find a way to get a week away from my FAH rig's, and relax. Just let them fold on, while I try to clear my head for enough time to make those big decisions that will make my eventual time away from folding shorter.

Paul
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

This press release is a joke ... you can watch Gamers Nexus videos to know the real story behind this ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

IMO: This Gigabyte press release was likely written in a way that their lawyers thought would save their backsides in court. I call B.S. on it too--I'm getting my future PSU's from Corsair or EVGA. Motherboards/GPU's from ASUS or MSI. Gigabyte is no longer worth me wasting my time with.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

Follow Up: I spoke with the NewEgg Customer Service Representative this morning, and they have sent me a UPS shipping label for returning that PSU. I asked for a refund, and let her know that once it has been issued, that I would be purchasing a Corsair RM 850 PSU, from NewEgg. So, my main folding rig's going to be down for a few days.... :(

I may just take the other systems down for a few days as well, and do some preventative maintenance on them.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

Final update (moderator may lock this thread at their discretion): The new Corsair PSU will be in my main folding rig Tuesday night.

Paul