My gpu went to 2 seconds left 99% and then started a new one

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JimboPalmer

Re: My gpu went to 2 seconds left 99% and then started a new

Post by JimboPalmer »

Try to stay under 90 C.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Riehnbean

Post by Riehnbean »

JimboPalmer wrote:Try to stay under 90 C.
okay cool the average is about 85 and is there a way to turn off cpu folding?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Start FAHControl in the Folding@Home folder in the start menu.
One icon in the upper left will be Configure, click it.
One tab will be Slots, click it.Select the cpu slot and click Edit
On this screen you should see Extra slot options (expert only), click Add
On this edit options screen, enter a Name of pause-on-start and in Value put true.
Click OK or Save until you are back to the main screen and click Exit, up near Configure.

After a restart, when F@H starts the CPU will be paused, and unless you start it manually, will never run.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Riehnbean

Post by Riehnbean »

JimboPalmer wrote:Start FAHControl in the Folding@Home folder in the start menu.
One icon in the upper left will be Configure, click it.
One tab will be Slots, click it.Select the cpu slot and click Edit
On this screen you should see Extra slot options (expert only), click Add
On this edit options screen, enter a Name of pause-on-start and in Value put true.
Click OK or Save until you are back to the main screen and click Exit, up near Configure.

After a restart, when F@H starts the CPU will be paused, and unless you start it manually, will never run.
okay i put in the name area : pause-on-start and in the value area i put: true
saved it all my cpu was already running. will it stop when it goes to start it again or what can i do to stop it now without messing up gpu side
it also already has a name that says paused and a value that says false under above the one i just put though too
bruce

Post by bruce »

Riehnbean wrote:will it stop when it goes to start it again or what can i do to stop it now without messing up gpu side
it also already has a name that says paused and a value that says false under above the one i just put though too
The option you want is "finish" which will continue processing the active WU, upload the result and then NOT download a new assignment.

You've already set pause-on-start which will cause it to pause if you reboot. Before or after the next time you restart FAH, it will remain paused unless you start it manually.

Open FAHControl again. In the center of the opening screen, there's a block called Folding Slots. Right-click on the item that says Running:CPU to bring up the context menu. Select Finish.
Exit FAHControl or leave it open, but eventually that "Running" (which has now changed to "Finishing" will change to Paused.

Inthe process of setting Finish, the line in FoldingSlots will have been selected and turned blue. There will also be a selected line below in WorkQueue. (It may or may not have the same number) but it will have an ETA which applies to those two lines so you'll have some idea how long it will take before the active WU reaches 100% and starts the upload processing.

The unselected lines in those blocks are for the GPU and will continue folding.
Riehnbean

Post by Riehnbean »

bruce wrote:
Riehnbean wrote:will it stop when it goes to start it again or what can i do to stop it now without messing up gpu side
The option you want is "finish" which will continue processing the active WU, upload the result and then NOT download a new assignment.

You've already set pause-on-start which will cause it to pause if you reboot. Before or after the next time you restart FAH, it will remain paused unless you start it manually.

Open FAHControl again. In the center of the opening screen, there's a block called Folding Slots. Right-click on the item that says Running:CPU to bring up the context menu. Select Finish.
Exit FAHControl or leave it open, but eventually that "Running" (which has now changed to "Finishing" will change to Paused.

Inthe process of setting Finish, the line in FoldingSlots will have been selected and turned blue. There will also be a selected line below in WorkQueue. (It may or may not have the same number) but it will have an ETA which applies to those two lines so you'll have some idea how long it will take before the active WU reaches 100% and starts the upload processing.

The unselected lines in those blocks are for the GPU and will continue folding.

doing this will stop the CPU folding and just leave on the GPU folding right? thus having my laptop run at a cooler temp and not go so hard on it? is there any way to make the GPU run faster or more efficient after the CPU foling is off? or should i just leave it the way it is?
bruce

Post by bruce »

The slots are managed independently except when FAHClient initially creates them.

If the total heat generated exceeds a certain temperature, the speed of devices may be reduced, so reducing the heat MAY increase the speed of the active device(s). Except for that, you probably won't see any changes to speeds.
Riehnbean

Post by Riehnbean »

bruce wrote:The slots are managed independently except when FAHClient initially creates them.

If the total heat generated exceeds a certain temperature, the speed of devices may be reduced, so reducing the heat MAY increase the speed of the active device(s). Except for that, you probably won't see any changes to speeds.
Alright much apperciated my CPU is 15 mins from finishing this fold
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

It will look like this when the CPU has finished the WU (except maybe the CPU will show above the GPU in your interface):
You just have to remember to use the right click context menu to stop and start the GPU folding, instead of clicking on the big start button.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
Riehnbean

Post by Riehnbean »

awesome thanks guys looks like everything is running pretty well now
bruce

Post by bruce »

gunnarre wrote:You just have to remember to use the right click context menu to stop and start the GPU folding, instead of clicking on the big start button.
The big Fold/Pause/Finish buttons work when you want to select the same option for all of your slots. The Context Menu allows you to manage a single slot.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

JimboPalmer wrote:...At first this was called Optimus, but is now called Max-Q, I think...
Just to clarify for anyone else:
Optimus: The ability to switch between iGPU and dGPU https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/te ... echnology/
Max-Q (Original): The approach to laptop/notebook GPU design https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/12/14/what-is-max-q/
Max-Q (Revamped): The holistic approach to laptop/notebook design for maximum performance https://www.techpowerup.com/277546/nvid ... ifications
Advanced Optimus: A sub-set of Max-Q which builds upon the original Optimus to provide variable refresh/G-Sync support https://www.anandtech.com/show/15692/nv ... ed-optimus
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
iero

Post by iero »

You could try:
1)From NVIDIA Control Panel
3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings
Tab "Global settings"
Preferred Graphics Processor
Select : High performance NVIDIA processor

2)Control Panel > Hardware/Device Manager > Display Adapters > right click Intel HD Graphics and Disable

Here is a link with photos to help you out.
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/art ... computer-

Also, as stated above, update your drivers to the latest available through Nvidia's site. :biggrin:
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021