NVIDIA GPU Using Entire CPU Core?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

COOLDUDEGAMER
Hardware configuration: Folding Systems -
System 1 - Intel Xeon X3360, 8 GB A-Tech DDR2 800, Intel DG33FB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 1.5 GB, 650 Watt EVGA PSU, Western Digital 80 GB ATA hard drive

NVIDIA GPU Using Entire CPU Core?

Post by COOLDUDEGAMER »

Hello everyone!

First off, sorry for being away for so long. My life has been a mess for a while.

Now, I know that in the past, AMD GPUs have used an entire CPU core when folding but, is it normal for a NVIDIA GPU to be using an entire CPU core when folding?
Last I remember (this was a while back) was that NVIDIA GPUs used only a little bit of the CPU when folding.

Any idea if I should uninstall & reinstall the client as it was running a really old version before I got back to folding.

This is the 1st GPU WU folding on this card as I just got this card (GeForce GTX 660) in & installed yesterday as my old Radeon HD5670 was too out of date to fold on.
This is also like the newest card that will work in the system. I tried a couple other cards (Radeon R7 260X & Radeon R7 350) that locked up the system on POST as they were too new.

Project 17427. FAH Core 22.
Why am I always tired?!

PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: NVIDIA GPU Using Entire CPU Core?

Post by PantherX »

Welcome back to the F@H Forum!

Nowadays, with FahCore_22, it is normal for AMD/Nvidia GPUs to use 1 CPU to fold. In some cases, it can also be 2 CPUs (1 virtual, 1 physical) but that's depending on overall system configuration. Thus, if you see 1 CPU being utilized while GPU folding, it is normal. During checkpoints, you can see much more than 1 or 2 CPUs being utilized since it is performing sanity checks and other stuff which is okay since they are generally short lived tasks that only happens during the checkpoint stage.

Considering that you're moving from AMD to Nvidia GPU, a clean install of Nvidia Drivers and a fresh install of V7.6.21 should work for you :) If not, you can post the log files for us to investigate it further.

When it comes to AMD GPUs, this is the verdict:
Radeon HD5670: Lacks FP64 so is unsupported for folding https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -5670.c248
Radeon R7 260X: Has OpenCL 1.2 and FP64 so should be supported for folding https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... 260x.c2465
Radeon R7 350: Has OpenCL 1.2 and FP64 so should be supported for folding https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -350.c3135
It might be something to do with Driver version as I think that newer drivers have dropped support for some GPU models so using an older driver version would work.

P.S. Don't feel sorry for being away, life happens which is understandable so anyone is always welcomed back here to help you out for F@H :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
COOLDUDEGAMER
Hardware configuration: Folding Systems -
System 1 - Intel Xeon X3360, 8 GB A-Tech DDR2 800, Intel DG33FB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 1.5 GB, 650 Watt EVGA PSU, Western Digital 80 GB ATA hard drive

Re: NVIDIA GPU Using Entire CPU Core?

Post by COOLDUDEGAMER »

Hey PantherX!

The problem with the Radeon R7 260X & R7 350 was that the system would not even finish booting. Yay ancient motherboard! LOL!!!

It appears to be folding but just using an entire core of the CPU so, CPU folding has taken a bit of a hit from it.
I was thinking about reinstalling the client anyways as I did not do a clean install but just did an upgrade install.
We shall see what happens over the next couple days as I decide if I want to do a clean install or what. :P

And thank you for the prompt reply.

Sincerely,

COOLDUDEGAMER
Why am I always tired?!