Licensing around developing 3rd party client

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Nan0Scho1ar

Licensing around developing 3rd party client

Post by Nan0Scho1ar »

Hi

I have recently learned that one reason for the large spike in performance of the network was due to several crypto miners contributing to the network. This got me wondering if there is a way to keep them involved as well as bring in more. I have some experience working with the LBRY network and thought it may benefit the f@h project to incorporate some of that technology. In particular using a peer to peer network to cache the results in times of peak load to reduce stress on the central server, or even as a permanent storage solution. It could also be beneficial to award users a cryptocurrency for contributing computing power to the project or for cataloging the results available in the peer to peer network.

From what I've read f@h is closed source so I'm not certain how this option would fit into the picture in terms of licensing. Does anyone have information regarding this or who I could contact before I begin development/if I'm even allowed?

Thanks
Foliant

Re: Licensing around developing 3rd party client

Post by Foliant »

Nan0Scho1ar wrote:award users a cryptocurrency for contributing
Have you heard about Curecoin?
24/7
1x i5 3470 @2Cores
1x GTX750 (GM107)
2x GTX750Ti (GM107)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There are teams that award cryptocurrency, that is not a discussion for here. As for the F@h project awarding cryptocurrency itself, that would be a legal problem for most if not all organizations involved in the Folding@home Consortium.

As for the client, part of the apps distributed as the "client" are open source. The core portion, FAHClient is not. Current terms of use require it to be downloaded from the foldingathome.org site or through a few permitted partner sites. WUs and the associated folding cores can only be obtained from F@h servers, and the WUs returned to those servers.

Plans are for the entire client to be open source at some point in the future. Developers interested in working on the client would make contact through the F@h Discord channel.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Nan0Scho1ar,

Please note that as of January 14 2019, the official stance is that F@H doesn't endorse any cryptocurrencies but is happy to engage with all participants as long as they follow the EULA: https://foldingathome.org/2019/01/14/fo ... urrencies/
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues