I seem to have received a bad _a8 core update [OS X]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: I seem to have received a bad _a8 core update [OS X]

Post by Joe_H »

I see a two possibilities for why the projects using the A8 core are failing. The first is that this version 0.0.8 was not compiled to be supported on OS X 10.7.5. I have asked the developer of the core about this aspect, and will see what the response is.

The other possibility is that there is another problem, but that may take a bit more work to figure out.

Since you state this has been going on for a while, I am assuming projects using the A7 core are working okay, and none of the projects using A8 are working. So far only a few projects have been released that use A8. This problem may be fixable on the client side if you can upgrade the OS, or if there is a different minimum OS version for A8 as compared to A7 it can be set on the server side.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
wingrider

Post by wingrider »

I thought about doing OS upgrades on them but iirc 10.7.5 is as far as these Xserves can go and the Fah downloadable lists MacOS 10.7+.

17 of the machines are running OK at the moment on other folding, the 20 just seem to fail when they try to start on 16810 or 16812 folds. Sometimes I an go a day and only have to reload a couple machines, this morning I checked in to find 17 failed on those 2 listed above. If I could just bypass those 2 I'd be set.

I'm sorry I didn't keep track of A7 vs A8 and was down the path of upgrading the whole downloadable vs looking at 7 vs 8.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you remove the beta flag, the next WU may not run into the problem.
wingrider

Post by wingrider »

bruce wrote:If you remove the beta flag, the next WU may not run into the problem.
I'm sorry, I went through the config and pref panes but didn't see where to toggle / enable the beta flag, or is it in an external .xml file?
wingrider

Post by wingrider »

Update:
This morning I checked in to find 19 Xserves stopped with the "FahCore returned: INTERRUPTED (102 = 0x66)" error and 1 still folding. 16 of them failed on 16810 projects, 3 of them failed on 16812 projects. I had ended the day with all 20 Xserves folding along as expected. I did have to clear a couple of the same "FahCore returned: INTERRUPTED (102 = 0x66)" errors but they settled down for what looked like solid overnight folding.

I'm back doing multiple clears of the core folder and contents of the work folder until I get projects that are not 16810 or 16812.
wingrider

Post by wingrider »

Monday update:
Another morning with over a dozen machines having stopped folding overnight. Almost all were 16810 and a couple 16812.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Heard back from developer, minimum OS X version it supports is 10.9. The researchers currently running projects on Core_A8 have been notified about this. They should be able to restrict assignment of WUs to OS X 10.9 and later, not sure how long it will take for that to be put in place.

wingrider

Post by wingrider »

Thank you for for the investigation Joe. It looks like something positive has changed because the machines this morning were all still running and hand not failed on starting a WU. I'll have to look into trying to hack the Xserves to run a newer OS to get a shot at running Core_A8 projects. Apparently it can be done but it is some work and then to apply to 20 machines.

I'm just thrilled to not have to keep dumping work on all of these. Thanks again.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Temporarily assignment of A8 WUs has been suspended for macOS systems, you should just be seeing A7 WUs. A bug fix was needed for another reason, the next version of Core_A8 is also supposed to be released with support for OS X 10.7. I understand it took some doing to include support back to match that of Core_A7, but it should be available in the near future once the changes have been tested.

wingrider

Post by wingrider »

W00t! More great news Joe. Happy to beta/test/ feedback if necessary to help when it gets there.