Increasing not just number of donors, but also ACTIVE donors

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

YosiMor
Hardware configuration: Once-fairly-powerful 10-year-old (non-gaming) desktop PC: 1st-gen Core i7-860 #CPU + 8 GB RAM + GeForce GT 240.
Dual-boot configuration running Windows 10 + (lately, mostly) Ubuntu LTS 20.04 .

Increasing not just number of donors, but also ACTIVE donors

Post by YosiMor »

As I posted in this tweet of mine (see screenshots of graphs posted there), one can clearly see in the Aggregate Teams Summaries of the EOC site that the weekly number of (cumulative?) total users SIGNED UP with Folding@Home has very significantly RISEN during the recent lockdown period -- which is obviously a (very) "Good Thing™"!

But, it also seems that the weekly number of ACTIVE users began to steadily decrease very shortly after hitting its peak -- which is NOT so good.

I would recommend that in parallel to continuing efforts to sign up additional new donors, we should also be making an effort to persuade existing donors to remain as active as possible. And given that the number of active donors seems to be declining, it would be wise to launch some sort of investigation to understand and analyze the root cause behind this negative trend, as well as a campaign to try and reverse it.

Perhaps it would be possible to send out emails to donors who now show up as "inactive" (at least to those who had previously signed up for a Passkey?), asking to fill out a short survey investigating the reason why that donor is no longer active?
JimboPalmer

Re: Increasing not just number of donors, but also ACTIVE do

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home! (I have many semi serious replies)

Attention Span is short.

Saving the world sounds great until you get the electric bill.

Many nations around the world have listened to their scientific and medical experts and have defeated COVID-19, and apparently curing cancer is not as exciting.

For better or worse, the US is still trying the 'bury your head in the sand' approach to COVID-19 so volunteers from there may continuefolding indefinitely.

As I look at the EOC specs, while volunteers are down, actual PPD is still holding up pretty well. so the servers are caught up and volunteers are folding more wisely.

And, as always, this project is headed by Biochemists, not Public Relations majors, so knowing how sell an idea is not in their curriculum.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Curing cancer is hell of exciting ...
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Summer heat come too. Seasonally some donors reduce the additional heater in this time of the year.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bruce

Post by bruce »

ChristianVirtual wrote:Summer heat come too. Seasonally some donors reduce the additional heater in this time of the year.
Four of my machines (nine slots) took the afternoon off today. Evening has arrived and they'll be resuming processing shortly as soon as the fans exchange the indoor air.

Please don't re-discuss your tweets here on this site. We provide SUPPORT and limit the social interaction. Feel free to participate in more than one FAH site and abide by the standards of each site.