Linux / Windows shared data directories?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

pcwolf

Linux / Windows shared data directories?

Post by pcwolf »

Greetings. Search did not turn up an results, thus this post.

I run Manjaro for my desktop, and maintain a Windows 10 boot disk for when I have to use Windows tools.

On both, I run F@H in the background while I work. When I finish in Windows, I can't wait to reboot into Manjaro. Invariably, there are unfinished WUs that will be shut down with the reboot.

Is there any reason I cannot use just one data directory for all F@H WUs, to resume in whichever Folding daemon is currently in use? Since Windows cannot read EXT4 drives, can I redirect my Linux F@H to use the data directory on the Windows NTFS drive? Will all WUs restart at the last checkpoint no matter which Operating System is accessing them?

I *hate* losing credit for incomplete / late WUs.

Thank you
HaloJones

Re: Linux / Windows shared data directories?

Post by HaloJones »

In principle, but I've never heard of it being done successfully.
single 1070

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There are multiple problems that will show up trying to do this. Each installation will have had an unique ID assigned to it when first connected to the servers. The folding core executables are also stored in another part of that data directory, so the Linux vs Windows executables would be a problem. There are more issues, including whether the calculations could be picked up by the Linux core after processing by the Windows one and vice versa.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

In addition to what Joe_H has stated, some Projects can be OS specific. Thus, if you get a Windows WU, it will not function as expected under Linux and vice-versa.

My suggestion is that on both OS, you add this parameter:
<pause-on-start v='true'/>

Which is done via Advanced Control (AKA FAHControl -> Configure -> Expert -> Extra client options -> Add -> Edit options is where Name is pause-on-start and Value is true -> OK -> Save

That way, if you know that the work on Windows is only 5 hours, you will not start folding thus, you can spend more time on Manjaro. If you are going to be spending a day on Windows, you can start folding and ensure that the slot is set to Finish to prevent a new WU from downloading.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Catalina588

Post by Catalina588 »

Think along the lines of a common container that could run on either OS, keeping one set of executables and unique IDs. Microsoft Windows has gotten pretty friendly with Linux and Linux containers. I leave it to others for details.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Building on what Catalina588 said, you can look into running containers (https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/containers) or a VM (https://flings.vmware.com/vmware-applia ... lding-home) but the performance will be impacted (positive/negative) by the overhead of the virtualization software and the guest/host OS.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
pcwolf

Post by pcwolf »

Thank you for the quick and creative responses to my question with problems and possible solutions.

I believe I am going to follow PantherX' advice, and consider the length of my stay in Windows environment, and not start what I cannot complete.

First, I will enter Windows soon and issue a "Finish" command so that I do not commit to any further WUs.