How install clients on remote hosts?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

evgeny

How install clients on remote hosts?

Post by evgeny »

Hello.

I have 100+ windows based hosts. How I can install Foldong@home client with my username and passkey? And which ports I need open for communicate with Foldong@home servers?
bruce

Re: How install clients on remote hosts?

Post by bruce »

FAHClient communicates with the FAH servers just like a browser does, over ports 80 and 8080.

I'm going to guess that those 100 clients are not in your home so you won't really be running folding@home. Please read the EULA which specifies that you can only use FAH on computers that you own. If they belong to your employer, get written permission from the computer's owner. We really don't want you to get fired.

Inasmuch as the client is designed for home use, the expectation is that you will visit each computer and run the installer 100 times.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

I'm going to assume you know how to do the remote installation because if you don't you probably shouldn't be doing it.

As for the networking requirements, the clients do a PUT and a GET from the central servers, so all communication is outbound rather than from the servers to the clients. You would only need to allow 80 and 8080 on your outside firewall which are probably open anyway.
single 1070

evgeny

Post by evgeny »

Hi Bruce!

Thank for you fast and detail answer.
evgeny

Post by evgeny »

HaloJones wrote:I'm going to assume you know how to do the remote installation because if you don't you probably shouldn't be doing it.

As for the networking requirements, the clients do a PUT and a GET from the central servers, so all communication is outbound rather than from the servers to the clients. You would only need to allow 80 and 8080 on your outside firewall which are probably open anyway.
I dont know how use Foldong@home client with my username and passkey.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

evgeny, I suggest you try setting up a single client first. During the installation process it prompts you to put in an id and passkey and team id. If you already have those things, it's easy to do. If you don't you can make up a username at the time of installation and ask for a passkey to be emailed to you - again it's part of the installation.

If you get one client working you will learn a lot in the process and probably be able to answer for yourself how to set up your 100 clients.

The folding@home site has detailed FAQ and installation guides. I suggest you start by going there and doing some research into how to get one machine working.

We can help if you hit a problem but we're not really the best place to ask such basic questions, all of which are in the FAQ.

Once you have one working, we can maybe help with the distribution to your 100 potential clients.
single 1070

PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum evgeny,

Please note that if you're thinking of cloning the system image, this needs to be done on a fresh installation without any network connection. Reason is that the client will first get an assignment ID that should be unique to each system. Cloning a system when it is already folding means that the assignment ID is duplicated and may not work as expected.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
js2010

Post by js2010 »

There's no documentation about how to do a silent install. There are other threads about headless installs under the other version of the program. Although securing it is somewhat of a challenge, especially since if you allow remote users, they can change the settings. Also, it's probably better not to run it as the system user. Microsoft also has a powershell script to install it on a virtual machine. Update: although I couldn't boot after enabling hyper-v, sigh. (hyper-v is not actually required for windows sandbox)