Wuhan Corona Virus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Wuhan Corona Virus

Post by bruce »

Jesse_V wrote:
jonault wrote:That is an unprecedented growth. The userbase always grows in the wintertime, and it's still cold outside in much of the US and Europe ...
If you're going to use electricity to heat your home when it's cold, then you might as well (try to) run FAH and do something useful with it in the process. If you're in a season and climate where you need Air Conditioning you end up paying twice. Once to generate the heat while folding and again to move that heat outside.
jonault

Post by jonault »

Jesse_V wrote:
jonault wrote:I don't think some of the folks here appreciate just how fast the number of folders is increasing.

Edited again: and after the 9pm update, it's up to 24601, adding another 2000. So in 12 hours we picked up about 6500 folders (up over 33%!), an amount almost equal to the total number of folders we had at the beginning of February.
That is an unprecedented growth. The userbase always grows in the wintertime, and it's still cold outside in much of the US and Europe, but now so many people are stuck inside and there's laser-focus interest in the virology research.
It's continuing. As of a couple hours ago, it's up to 54900. So that's an additional 30000 folders in about 3 days.
GingeraMan

Post by GingeraMan »

bruce wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:
jonault wrote:That is an unprecedented growth. The userbase always grows in the wintertime, and it's still cold outside in much of the US and Europe ...
If you're going to use electricity to heat your home when it's cold, then you might as well (try to) run FAH and do something useful with it in the process. If you're in a season and climate where you need Air Conditioning you end up paying twice. Once to generate the heat while folding and again to move that heat outside.

I'm in sunny Canberra Australia where we are about to go in to winter. This would be a great way to keep the house warm. I have solar power too.

So have we run out of work units or have the servers crashed or what. Some announcement on the website would be handy so fifty people don't keep asking the same questions?

It also makes a good news story that we all need right now.
ooskars

Post by ooskars »

Yes, please give us answers
happymambo

Post by happymambo »

In the meantime Boinc (Rosetta project) has been working 24/7 for me, so if you'd like to help their efforts for coronavirus then I'd download that
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

From Greg Bowman's twitter:
As promised, here is our first glimpse of the #COVID19 spike protein (aka the demogorgon) in action, courtesy of @foldingathome
. More to come!
https://twitter.com/drGregBowman/status ... 92640?s=20
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

GingeraMan wrote:So have we run out of work units or have the servers crashed or what. Some announcement on the website would be handy so fifty people don't keep asking the same questions?
Run out of WU's - no. Reached max capacity to respond to provide WU's to the greatly increased donor base - Yes.

Discussions are ongoing with potential providers of expanded server capacity, and some is already in the process of being placed online. For example two servers are in the process of being configured on instances provided by Azure and can be seen listed on the server status page - https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats.

Announcements and FAQ's are in the process of being readied to post.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
InDebtBigTime

Post by InDebtBigTime »

@Joe_H

Do we have to do anything to reach the new servers? Restart? I have not been able to get work for CPU nor GPU.

Thanks in advance
Harmin

Post by Harmin »

for now all we can do is wait and hope to catch a slot to get a WU
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

The servers are currently serving 60k requests an hour, thast climbed from 54k a few hours ago so things are getting better, work is slower getting easier to come by
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

InDebtBigTime wrote:@Joe_H

Do we have to do anything to reach the new servers? Restart? I have not been able to get work for CPU nor GPU.

Thanks in advance
No, your WU request goes to one of the Assignment Servers, they know where the new servers are and what work they have available to send out.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

JonazzDJ wrote:From Greg Bowman's twitter:
As promised, here is our first glimpse of the #COVID19 spike protein (aka the demogorgon) in action, courtesy of @foldingathome
. More to come!
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks like a human heart ?

On the WU availability issue, things should be getting better and better ... do you notice an improvement ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
zexmaxwell

Post by zexmaxwell »

toTOW wrote:
On the WU availability issue, things should be getting better and better ... do you notice an improvement ?
Looks like it? Then again. I normally get more WU at night. I'll Edit my post if I get more.

Looks like we are for GPU. CPU must have ran out.
Last edited by zexmaxwell on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My room is always Hot.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

toTOW wrote:
JonazzDJ wrote:From Greg Bowman's twitter:
. More to come!
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks like a human heart ?

Folding as we speak! (CPU)
InDebtBigTime

Post by InDebtBigTime »

Well I've been unsuccessful getting any work for a few days now. Just a reminder BOINC's Rosetta@home does appears to have work available