Suffering from constant crashes on core 21 WUs!

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Suffering from constant crashes on core 21 WUs!

Post by bruce »

Stable on Furmark does not guarantee stable when the GPU is running at maximum performance.

You didn't answer the question about the temperature with your game vs. the temperature with Core_21 and I'll add vs. the temperature with Furmark.

Does the fan speed change?
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

an overclock is an overclock, whether by the factory or by the user is irrelevant. remove the overclocks to fold core_21.
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

jimerickson wrote:an overclock is an overclock, whether by the factory or by the user is irrelevant. remove the overclocks to fold core_21.
That sounds like a good scheme to encourage donors to use their GPU idle time for folding when they're not gaming.

I think you (and PG) are forgetting the reason most people buy a GPU, why companies like MSI, EVGA et al are in business, and that FAH software is intended to be "fit and forget".

If PG create projects which a standard, off-the-shelf (and quite possibly factory overclocked) GPU can't handle (and they are free to do so) then there should be a user-settable flag that needs to be explicitly enabled in order to be assigned WUs from those projects (eg expert=true). Then those who are prepared to tweak their systems can do so, those for whom folding is not a priority can ignore it.
Utopia-Phoenix

Post by Utopia-Phoenix »

bruce wrote:Stable on Furmark does not guarantee stable when the GPU is running at maximum performance.

You didn't answer the question about the temperature with your game vs. the temperature with Core_21 and I'll add vs. the temperature with Furmark.

Does the fan speed change?
I didn't remember the temps very well, but I think it's 70/70/80.

Fan speed did change.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It might also be the TDR triggering ... although we didn't see any log extract, the GPU reset leads me to think so.

Since we didn't see any log, we don't know ... are you running with v0.0.11 or with v0.0.12 of Core 21 ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

never mind, wrong OS
Last edited by Nathan_P on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

@Utopia-Phoenix: If it is Furmark stable then I believe your GPU/PC-Hardware is OK and there is another problem.
Can you post the full logfile of a crash? (Use the fah client advanced control -> log tab)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:
jimerickson wrote:an overclock is an overclock, whether by the factory or by the user is irrelevant. remove the overclocks to fold core_21.
That sounds like a good scheme to encourage donors to use their GPU idle time for folding when they're not gaming.

I think you (and PG) are forgetting the reason most people buy a GPU, why companies like MSI, EVGA et al are in business, and that FAH software is intended to be "fit and forget".

If PG create projects which a standard, off-the-shelf (and quite possibly factory overclocked) GPU can't handle (and they are free to do so) then there should be a user-settable flag that needs to be explicitly enabled in order to be assigned WUs from those projects (eg expert=true). Then those who are prepared to tweak their systems can do so, those for whom folding is not a priority can ignore it.
I purchase a generic econo-box car of Japanese or Korean origin. Turn the key and just drive it, right. The car will do 135 miles per hour. The tires are only rated at 110 miles per hour. I have a blow out while road racing on the 405 in OKC and wreck the car. Should Toyota or Hyundai limit the car speed to match the tires? Or should they only sell tires that matches the car's top speed? Should they buy me a new car because they didn't do either one?

Not saying that PG shouldn't work hard to minimize the bad work units, but some bad work units are expected, especially from a newer FAHCore. Just like one expects a few extra bugs in the first model year of a newly redesigned car or truck.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

7im wrote: I purchase a generic econo-box car of Japanese or Korean origin. Turn the key and just drive it, right. The car will do 135 miles per hour. The tires are only rated at 110 miles per hour. I have a blow out while road racing on the 405 in OKC and wreck the car. Should Toyota or Hyundai limit the car speed to match the tires? Or should they only sell tires that matches the car's top speed? Should they buy me a new car because they didn't do either one?
Not sure how to deal with that analogy... it has more weak points than such usually do :wink:

But if the car is the FAHcore, the engine is the GPU and the tyres are the WUs then (here in the UK, anyway) the manufacturers wouldn't get type approval to sell it if the performance was likely to cause the tyres to fail.

And the same would apply to models with "factory overclocked" engines... which is why there are only three tyres I can legally use on my Jaguar!
Ar`Kritz

Post by Ar`Kritz »

billford wrote:
7im wrote: I purchase a generic econo-box car of Japanese or Korean origin. Turn the key and just drive it, right. The car will do 135 miles per hour. The tires are only rated at 110 miles per hour. I have a blow out while road racing on the 405 in OKC and wreck the car. Should Toyota or Hyundai limit the car speed to match the tires? Or should they only sell tires that matches the car's top speed? Should they buy me a new car because they didn't do either one?
Not sure how to deal with that analogy... it has more weak points than such usually do :wink:

But if the car is the FAHcore, the engine is the GPU and the tyres are the WUs then (here in the UK, anyway) the manufacturers wouldn't get type approval to sell it if the performance was likely to cause the tyres to fail.

And the same would apply to models with "factory overclocked" engines... which is why there are only three tyres I can legally use on my Jaguar!
And you need four. :D
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Ar`Kritz wrote: And you need four. :D
I had doubts about that line even while I was typing it :lol:
Ar`Kritz

Post by Ar`Kritz »

It's the second one, at least in every country with indoor plumbing.
Sn1ken

Post by Sn1ken »

I can assure you that ip 171.64.65.104 is against normal when it comes to folding.

There are far more Bad WU than with any other project I have folded so far. It is entirely appropriate to shed light on this from our side as a donor.

You may have a different perception, but I have more experience than most, and I was even forced to introduce measures to prevent these projects.
Sn1ken

Post by Sn1ken »

I would also point out the easiest point of all when it comes to F @ H.
There must be an overriding goal to lower the threshold for participation, not the opposite.

So I would urge you to rethink how you considering new projects which will be released to all users. It will soon end to repel certain users rather than trying to motivate. Then a lot of purpose lost.

I say this mainly because I am passionate about F @ H
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Deleted by poster- it was rubbish :(
Last edited by billford on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.