Back to folding again

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ianm_ozzy

Back to folding again

Post by ianm_ozzy »

Hi
I tried folding a few years ago and it was just a hassle to setup and use. I recall using the GPU client version and I hated it. It was so awful just deleted it & forgot about it.
The new software seems much easier to use. I am glad it has been updated.

My PC specs are:
Windows 7 64 bit
16 GB memory
2 gtx 670 sli both with overclocks to 1200 - core 3181 - memory
gt 640 - cuda/physx
asrock z77 extreme6 motherboard
i7-3770k cpu stable @ 4.4 Ghz
4 TB HD space

The sli setup works perfectly using as graphics cards. They crash when running cuda/physx due to the overclock so I use the gt 640.

The GT 640 works perfectly using cuda/physx at 100% load and has no overclock.

I want to make a contribution so using the gt 640 for gpu folding. It seems to work well for CUDA applications.
The pci express slot it uses goes through the z77 chipset so does not affect playing games (not using Physx) or general computing use.
When runs at 100%. its quiet, run cool and does not use much power.

There are 2 problems I have though.
The first is how do I get the program to startup with windows. I decided not to use this option at installation as I was unsure if I wanted that. Now I do. How do a change the setting.

The second problem is the time duration of the folding program.
The present one running has an ETA of 4.11 days. I can run that time but it will take much longer as my computer will be folding when its on when I am present.
I am not willing to leave my computer on unattended for any extended period I believe its a potential fire hazard.
The job seems to have a timeout for 2 days time and and expiration for 3 days time.

Running the job seems pointless.
Is there a way in the software to use folding jobs of much less time or sensible timeout/deadlines.
I have got my PC setup the way I like it and are not changing the hardware/overclock settings just for 1 application.
Thanks
Last edited by ianm_ozzy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruce

Re: Back to folding again

Post by bruce »

Welcome back, ianm_ozzy.

Folding speed will vary, depending on where you put the slider. By default, the GPU folds only when idle (at the times a screensaver would normally activate) so progress is particularly slow if your computer is turned off when you're not using it. That minimizes the impact a busy GPU would apparent delays by avoiding delays to screen updates. Each individual has a different tolerance for delays. Also, GPU work is often corrupted if the computer enters a sleep state.

Although folding with your i7 will produce a lesser amount of analysis, it can run continuously with very little impact on foreground activity.

You don't have to accept the default settings. You can choose to fold either with the GPU or the CPU or both, either when idle or continuously. Personally, my machines run 24x7 and I'm not concerned about a fire hazard, though you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
ianm_ozzy

Post by ianm_ozzy »

Thanks for the reply.
When my computer is on. I am using it.
It is off all other times.
The gt 640 is hardly used so wish to use that.
My PC is setup so it does not enter a sleep state.

All the other components I use and do not want performance hindered.
When the gt 640 is at 100% when folding there is no impact on performance except when I try to use cuda applications obviously.
With the other components there is and notice it.
It is presently running and msi afterburner software shows it running at 99 % capacity. I guess its folding.
Also electricity is expensive so are only willing to use the gt 640 for folding. It has not much in the way of power requirements.
All I need to know is how to ensure the jobs are finished in time.
How in the software can you choose jobs that so not need to run for days. Ones that run hours would be sensible.
How is this done?

As for a fire hazard, I have known people who died in a fire. Its best to be smart about it.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The client does not give you tools to select which projects are assigned -- that's based on the needs of science.

Some projects use CUDA and others use OpenCL.

Your GPU will require one (virtual) CPU to feed data to it but you probably won't notice any impact to your other applications.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Your GT 640 is at the low end of GPU's which can complete the current Core_17 and Core_18 WU's, and may need to run nearly full time to do so within the deadlines. An option has been posted - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14714&p=273584#p273584 - that can set your 640 to processing older Core_15 projects. They have longer deadlines and may be more suitable if you would be running them only part time.

One note, with more than one type of GPU in your system, occasionally the F@H client can get the index values confused and misidentify the type of GPU associated with a folding slot. So you may need to use monitoring tools to verify which GPU is being used by the folding client.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ianm_ozzy

Post by ianm_ozzy »

Thank you for the replies. I have no idea what the Core_17 or core_5s are.
AL I am asking for is to get the software to be setup correctly.
I have already worked out how through the software to run on a particular component, be it a GPU or particular CPU.
The graphics card I intend to use is card I want to use has been selected and it works.

I was under the impression that it was about using your computer to help run simulations to benefit medical science and needed help to do that.
I AM WILLING TO DONATE SOME COMPUTING POWER TO THAT. I EXPECT STRAIGHT FORWARD SUPPORT IN SETTING IT UP.

The problem is the deadlines.
I installed it and after setup was faced with an utterly stupid situation where the deadline was before it could possibly be finished.
If the project is only interested in those with very expensive hardware then I want nothing to do with it.
I would not be saying this except I used folding @ home a few years ago and gave up due to the lack of support and problems with the software
Could someone in plain English involved in the project let me know how to set up the software correctly.
If it gets more frustrating then it gets deleted fort good I think.

Thank you
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

It may well not be worth the frustration to Fold.

Sorry.

The Video card needs to run full time to complete the work before the deadline, and your current situation does not allow full time operation.

Folding involves many 'generations' of Work Units, and they cannot start the next generation until all the current generation is done so quick turnaround is highly favored.

The scientists set the amount of work in each WU and the deadlines they need get their simulation done, so smaller WUs with shorter deadlines are not selectable by the donors. (This is, after all, a project to do science) There are other distributed processing projects where quick turnaround is not as fundamental as with Folding at Home, perhaps one of them will suit your situation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_di ... g_projects
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

There's another option: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14714&p=273584#p273584
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Cool, that has to be new!
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

There are links on The Software page that is linked at the top of the forum pages to Installation, FAQ and Configuration guides. They can be helpful in following any directions you will get here.

As for your question about installing the client as a service that will start up with Windows, that will work for CPU folding. However it will not work for GPU folding for any MS OS newer than Windows XP because of a security change to access to the video subsystem Microsoft made starting with Vista.

Cores - Core_17 and Core_18 are the newest processing cores for GPU folding. The projects they run are large, have relatively short deadlines, and take considerable processing power to complete. Your 670's are capable, but they are not the card you want to use. The 640 is also able to complete the WU's that use these cores, the ETA given by the client does take a few percent before becoming accurate. However as mentioned, it would have to run almost continuously to complete a WU.

The option we are pointing you towards is running the older Core_15 WU's. That has a number of projects using it that have longer deadlines - most are about 5 weeks. Using Configure in FAHControl, click on Slots and select the slot that has your 640 GPU. Then click on Edit. At the bottom of the window you will be able to Add Extra Slot options, add the option name of max-packet-size and set the value to small. Click on OK's and Save the option. From that point forward you should not get any assignments for the newer cores.

In another thread you asked about using the older 6.41 client. The download page is here - https://folding.stanford.edu/home/download2011/. That probably is the GPU client you recall using in the past, and since the option above was put in place, is not recommended.

P.S. If you have already verified folding is going to the 640, good. I only mentioned the possibility of the client not identifying the GPU's correctly just in case and for other readers of this thread. Much of the time the client does get it right, but a number of persons who have installed more than one type of GPU have had issues in the past on which GPU got used.

ianm_ozzy

Post by ianm_ozzy »

Thank you Joe_H
I changed the parameters of the max-packet-size and so far so good.
The other 3 slots I have already removed ( 2 x gtx 670 and cpu)
When the software was installed, it wanted to use all 4.
The present Work Unit is Project no 9201, which is a big one and the ETA is longer than the finish date with Fah core 0x17.
How do I cancel that one & get a fresh shorted job installed & ran.
I tried to 'finish it' by clicking on the finish button. It is 'finishing' but apparently still going.
The gt 640 is at 99% usage so apparently still folding.

Also how do I get the program to start with windows? I cannot find anything in the preferences.

Thanks
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Depending on how you install the client, you may need to make a copy of the shortcut to start FAHClient and place it in the Startup folder for the user account you use on Windows 7. Then the program should start every time you start Windows and are logged in. The security change I mentioned earlier requires a user to be logged in for the video subsystem to be used by folding and other usages.

If the WU is definitely not going to be finished before the deadline, pause folding. Then navigate to the F@H data directory. Inside a folder named "work" you will find the files for the currently processing WU, delete them and restart folding. The client should detect the missing files, dump the WU and download another. If all is working well, that should be from a project that uses Core_15.

ianm_ozzy

Post by ianm_ozzy »

Thanks again for the info.

I am not leaving my computer on 24/7 for folding. It is on for a few hours each day.

The new had an ETA of 37.94 days of ongoing work. Its on a FahCore 0x15
The GPU gt 640 is folding and running at 100%. In the viewer there is a simulation running.
Its now at 1.5 days ETA which I can do no problem before the deadline. Its an odd estimate.

I reimage my computer with the boot drive overwritten every month, and install updates and make a backup. That I guess will also cause issues with the very long jobs. I do this as to avoid major config/virus/driver problems. The microsoft backup and system restore I do not trust so use acronis.

Is there an option to keep running it to a certain point, then stop it, so the simulation is sent back and picked up by another.
Is that what the "Finish' button is for?
If its not an option then it really needs it. Are the results only sent at the end of the job completion?
I understand there is a saved state is made dependent on the checkpoint frequency?

Thanks
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

If your computer only operates a few hours per day and gets re-imaged as you suggest, it's not going to be able to contribute to FAH using the traditional client. Most of Stanford's projects are too demanding.

Please consider running the NaCl client. It runs only short, less demanding jobs from inside the Chrome browser.