Change in BA requirements

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

KMac

Re: Change in BA requirements

Post by KMac »

I guess my brevity and sarcasm caused confusion. I certainly did not mean mdk777 when referring to bus driver 1's troll. Apologies to you mdk for the confusion.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

No problem.
I have been accused of trolling by some. I agree that reflexive apologists, repeating the same talking points, do little to satisfy legitimate donor concerns. :wink:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Viper97

Post by Viper97 »

Civility and politeness often is used to disguise contempt and misinformation.

I for one believe that a coarse language often describes in great detail the truth.

Hmmm... politics... truth.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Page 47, many instances of repetition, as well as posts which are completely unrelated to the actual topic. Let's begin now with new points which are actually contributions to the topic at this point. Who is going to have time to read through more than 47 pages, anyway? :)

/smiling, yet serious :)
texinga

Post by texinga »

Seriously, the mere fact that any Bigadv Folders (including those that have stopped Folding) are even still talking to PG is kind of odd at this 47 page point. There is nothing new and I'm sure that you already know that the donors can't be the originators of any news. I still check-in to see if possibly Dr. Pande or others from PG actually engage donors or have something new to say. Instead, we have what has been the hallmark of this thread, donors trying to talk to other donors.

This is a subject that is very serious, painful to those that gave so much to PG for years and this will not go away easily. Donors are being very poorly managed and they have finally reached a tipping point with it. That's all I'll say and I should just exit here and forget about waiting for the day that PG wakes up to how donors should be treated.

Over and out.

Edited by sortofageek to remove off topic comments.
Viper97

Post by Viper97 »

I actually had this long drawn out thought but I found it a bit complex and wordy. So I did the Readers Digest version of it.

Since there is really no way 'actual contributions' to the topic are met with any real action (other than cancellation of projects) what is the point of making 'actual contributions'?

The actual contributions the folding community has made is in the science they contributed their machines to. Removing the actual contributions (I.E. ceasing to fold) is the only method left to demonstrate our disagreement.

In essence I have moved from folding half a month for FAH and the other half for BOINC projects to all BOINC. I'm selling my 4P and hope to purchase enough GPU fire power to contribute to another worthy cause.
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

Face it. There were too many people jumping on the bigadv bandwagon and they wanted to trim the ranks. I think the BA power outgrew the projects that could be done with lotsa cores.

Increasing the minimum number of cores in February wasn't planned as a way to attract more people to BA. If all the noise about "I'm leaving" has reduced the number of big machines folding, that's exactly what they wanted to accomplish. And ending the project sort of means they expect to run out of useful work.
Viper97

Post by Viper97 »

I think we've all faced it... we know the end results now and that's good. Question is how many now burned will turn to other methods of Folding? I don't think that outcome is going to be something that will make the thank you blog any time soon.
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

codysluder wrote:Face it. There were too many people jumping on the bigadv bandwagon and they wanted to trim the ranks. I think the BA power outgrew the projects that could be done with lotsa cores.

Increasing the minimum number of cores in February wasn't planned as a way to attract more people to BA. If all the noise about "I'm leaving" has reduced the number of big machines folding, that's exactly what they wanted to accomplish. And ending the project sort of means they expect to run out of useful work.
Wrong, bigadv is not ending, just donor participation is ending. The bigadv WU's are still of great scientific value just the bigadv donor equipment requirement's was not being met by us donors many were jumping onboard with machines that were better suited for smp, and whenever PG would announce requirement changes it was creating havoc in the folding community due to no roadmap of what to expect. This was a problem that was created by PG itsel by not giving a road map and guidelines of what they expected but at this point in time that is irrelevant what has happened has happened.

Any way the only thing we can do at this point is see what happens from this point forward.

Edited by sortofageek to remove off topic comments.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Horse is dead, let's stop beating it now.