why big pharmaceutical company does't create supercomputer ?

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

yavuz

why big pharmaceutical company does't create supercomputer ?

Post by yavuz »

hi,
does big companies have super computer for folding ?
for example Pfizer 2012 income is 14 billion $. (source:wikipedia)
if folding calculations is very important for new drugs,
why Pfizer does not buy 100.000 gtx690 and build largest supercomputer with cost of 200 million$ only (estimate) ?

i don't claim that FAH is not very important but i am curious about this topic.
thx for reply
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: why big pharmaceutical company does't create supercomput

Post by Joe_H »

I don't know whether or not any of the large pharmaceutical companies have computers doing simulations similar to F@H. But F@H is involved in a level of base research that many companies in all areas of technology either do not do at all or do a limited amount. From my experience large companies' research and development groups tend to use the results of base level research done at academic institutions to guide their research among many candidates for future products. In the case of drugs, the published results of F@H may be used to select from a group of potential drugs for further research.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Big Pharma almost certainly use super computers to get their work done. Either on their own private systems or by renting capacity.

Whether they are tapping into the power of GPUs in the same way as FAH, I am not sure. Not only is GPU computing cutting edge technology, but it may require different modelling to the types used by F@H.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Did you google this question?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

I'll second Joe_H's comments. From what I've read, this is how things go. Basic research has to be done before you can narrow down the list of drug candidates, which has to be done before you can choose one or two and start trials.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Also, big pharma is profit driven, so their research is targeted at only those drugs with potential to make a lot of money because the development and approval process is so expensive. That pushes big pharma in to different areas of research than what FAH is doing.

So yes, they all have or rent time on super computers to do research, but their priorities are different, hence why they don't run fah. It's not a comment on the worthiness of fah either way.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
NookieBandit
Hardware configuration: AMD Opteron 2 x 6274 (32 Cores)
AMD FX-8350 (8 Cores)
Intel i7-4790K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-4790K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-4771K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-3770K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-3770K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-3770K (8 Cores)
Intel i7-3770S (8 Cores)
Intel i7-3930K (12 Cores)
Nvidia GPUs:
GTX 780ti
GTX 780ti
GTX 780ti
GTX 780ti
GTX 780
GTX 690
GTX 690
AMD GPUs:
HD 7970 GBE
HD 7970 GBE
HD 7990
HD 7990
HD 7990
R9 295X2
R9 295X2
R9 295X2

Post by NookieBandit »

@ yavuz, here's a link that specifically describes the use of supercomputers for drug discovery and some of the players in the industry that rent supercomputer horsepower. http://tinyurl.com/mehqcxl

Extending on Joe_H and Jesse_V's comments, it would be interesting to know if a drug company has actually taken result sets from F@H and used that as the "rule set" for feeding their supercomputer systems in order to shorten drug discovery time.